4320x2560 Monitor Setup

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I'm curious to know if anyone has ever seen this implemented: 3 WQHD Monitors vertically oriented for a 4320x2560 resolution.

Would it certainly require a three GPU setup? The max resolution for most GPUs is QHD, so it seems it would require one GPU per monitor, not to mention the fact that it takes a 770 to run games on ultra at these resolutions.

This is purely hypothetical (at least until I win the lottery). However, with the UHD monitors debuting at $3500, and WQHD monitors dropping below $500, the above setup would be a larger resolution for < half the cost. I'm satisfied with the pixel pitch of my current 27" WQHD, so I can't imagine I would want UHD in a 31.5" panel.

I also welcome any speculation about the performance of the GTX 860 on WQHD monitors as I am eyeing an upgrade from a Zotac 560 Ti AMP! =)

Solution
It's been done before, as you can easily find out with a Google search. If you ignore gaming performance, you can drive all three monitors at full resolution with a single graphics card, as long as it has enough outputs that are DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. There are even a few Radeon "Eyefinity edition" cards that have 6 mini-displayport outputs and might even be able to stretch the desktop across 6 of those 3840x2160 monitors.

However, even with 4 GTX Titans, there are other drawbacks to such a setup, and I posted questions about them several months ago that never really got answered:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1622652/questions-gaming-3x1-portrait-config.html
It's been done before, as you can easily find out with a Google search. If you ignore gaming performance, you can drive all three monitors at full resolution with a single graphics card, as long as it has enough outputs that are DisplayPort or dual-link DVI. There are even a few Radeon "Eyefinity edition" cards that have 6 mini-displayport outputs and might even be able to stretch the desktop across 6 of those 3840x2160 monitors.

However, even with 4 GTX Titans, there are other drawbacks to such a setup, and I posted questions about them several months ago that never really got answered:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1622652/questions-gaming-3x1-portrait-config.html

Solution

What are you talking about? With all the texture maps, Skyrim can rise above 2GB even for a 1920X1080 display, his display has 5X the pixels!

A lot depends on the AA settings. Normally you don't run a triple monitor setup at 8X AA because you would get about 5 FPS. With that setting, you'd need 6+GB RAM and more graphics power than God.

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
im using that exact setup atm. well mostly. i run 4 titans and i run bezel correct @ 4680x2560. Found this thread somehow due to looking for some wallpaper for portrait and its a real pain >.<

since your on the topic... i dont know that it brings the titans to their knees but theyre stretched thats for sure. Most games play @ 60-100fps on maximum with 3-4gb of vram useage. Id imagine next generations round of games will require the giving up of some aa etc though >.<

so... wheres those >4k walllpapers at? ;P

TRENDING THREADS