Sign in with
Your question

RAM Buying Guide

Last response: in Memory
July 12, 2013 3:49:04 PM

Hello guys, I am a newbie in this forum so if I have done something wrong correct me....:) 

I just want to know what I must have in mind before buying a new RAM, but a little bit more advanced, not only the ammount of GB and the speed....!
Have a nice day

More about : ram buying guide

a c 174 } Memory
July 12, 2013 4:21:04 PM

AegeanGhost98 said:
Hello guys, I am a newbie in this forum so if I have done something wrong correct me....:) 

I just want to know what I must have in mind before buying a new RAM, but a little bit more advanced, not only the ammount of GB and the speed....!
Have a nice day

[*1] Know what kinda of memory your system/ motherboard / laptop supports.

• [*2] The amount of memory you have and the number of free slots.

• [*3] How much memory you need? (depends on the applications you run)

• [*4] Match the speed, the voltage and CL timings. (eg. 9-9-9, the first number is the CL).

• [*5] Then check if your system supports Non-ECC, ECC, Registered ECC, Fully Buffered ECC memory etc. If you have a desktop then you are most likely to use Non-ECC memory as ECC is used more in server environments.

If you need any suggestions about the right RAM for your system lemme know. Cheers!!
    a c 1941 } Memory
    July 12, 2013 6:58:32 PM

One of the biggest things, in particular is what CPU you are running and what it can handle, particularly true with AMD CPUs - what a mobo can support is more often than not, much more than many CPUs can, i.e. take a look at the specs on the Asus Crosshair 990

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

According to specs it can take 2400 and up to 32GB, yet the top of the line CPU is the FX-8350 it can run UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL, or 2 sticks of 1866 which = 16GB max - a far cry from 32GB od 2400
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    July 13, 2013 4:25:58 AM

Thank you for your answers, to be more specific I build a new system for a friend I have find all the parts CPU: Intel i5 4670 and M/B: Gigabayte Z87-D3HP and RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600MHz Dual Kit, I am sure that all these fit good but can I find a better RAM with this money. The PC is for gaming only not any special program...
    July 13, 2013 5:08:07 AM

Firstly you should use that site because on the left hand side you can scan your system to see what ram you need

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=C...

Then You should Consider how much you need. I think that 8gb or 4gb of ram is plenty but if you want a higher end pc you should go for 16gb of ram or even 32!
    And Generally the more ram the faster you can access your files
    In the end it depends on what you want to use your pc for

AegeanGhost98 said:

Have a nice day

PC RAM Guide
    Last updated on 27th July 2013. Hello Builders and Pros ! This my second guide on the guide list. If you are looking to upgrade that PC crappy RAM or selecting DDR3 RAM for your brand new build , this is the guide that you need. This guide... See full content
    July 13, 2013 5:09:08 AM

AegeanGhost98 said:
    Thank you for your answers, to be more specific I build a new system for a friend I have find all the parts CPU: Intel i5 4670 and M/B: Gigabayte Z87-D3HP and RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600MHz Dual Kit, I am sure that all these fit good but can I find a better RAM with this money. The PC is for gaming only not any special program...

i think that that is enough!
    a c 99 } Memory
    July 13, 2013 6:20:41 AM

Listen to Tradesman1 he's a memory GURU.
    a c 1941 } Memory
    July 13, 2013 8:13:27 AM

The 4670 can prob carry 1866 simply with the use of XMP, enable it and select profile 1
    July 13, 2013 10:41:06 AM

Finaly after all this I select this Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 Non ECC CL9 1866MHz is a good selection..... Let as know memory GURU :p 
    And can some one explain me what is ECC all the versions and what are the CL timings, and if I increase the voltage what are the advantages and disadvantages of this action
    And could I increase the memory speed from 1600MHz to 1866MHz in my system
    M/B: Z77-D3H CPU: 3570k RAM: Mushkin 2x4BG Blackline 1600MHz (I do not remember the exact model)...?
    a c 1941 } Memory
    July 13, 2013 4:17:44 PM

Corsair Vengeance LP should work, though I don't know what model you are looking at, there's at least a couple, those sets can come in either CL9 or CL10, so the preferable one(s) is/are the CL9, which has better performance - which leads us to CL, the CL (CAS Latency (very simplified)) is the number of clock cycles to complete an action, so lower is better. As far as voltage the sticks are set at 1.5 and should suffice as is, no need or benefit from increasing voltage.....however may be needed to tighten the timings or CR (Command Rate) to increase performance or to increase the freq (i.e. OC the DRAM to say, here 2133).....which you may at some point want to try, the 3570K is a strong CPU and OCs well, generally most all 3570Ks can carry up to 32GB of 2133, many 32GB of 2400, so DRAM wise your good....if thinking about OCing the DRAM would look to GSkill sets like the Tridents, Snipers or Ripjaws (Z or X models) which all tend to have more OC headroom than Corsair sticks
    July 14, 2013 2:13:18 AM

Tradesman1 said:
    Corsair Vengeance LP should work, though I don't know what model you are looking at, there's at least a couple, those sets can come in either CL9 or CL10, so the preferable one(s) is/are the CL9, which has better performance - which leads us to CL, the CL (CAS Latency (very simplified)) is the number of clock cycles to complete an action, so lower is better. As far as voltage the sticks are set at 1.5 and should suffice as is, no need or benefit from increasing voltage.....however may be needed to tighten the timings or CR (Command Rate) to increase performance or to increase the freq (i.e. OC the DRAM to say, here 2133).....which you may at some point want to try, the 3570K is a strong CPU and OCs well, generally most all 3570Ks can carry up to 32GB of 2133, many 32GB of 2400, so DRAM wise your good....if thinking about OCing the DRAM would look to GSkill sets like the Tridents, Snipers or Ripjaws (Z or X models) which all tend to have more OC headroom than Corsair sticks

To make it more clear I want the Vengeance for a new build with a 4670 and Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
    And my other questions are what are the advantages and disadvantages of increasing the voltage generaly and can I oc my ram that I have now to 1866MHz
    M/B: Z77-D3H CPU: 3570k RAM: Mushkin 2x4BG Blackline 1600MHz (I do not remember the exact model)...?
    a c 1941 } Memory
    July 14, 2013 10:44:54 AM

On the Mushkins depending on the sticks, more than likely Yes, whether it would be worthwhile may be the question - if they are say CL9 and can run 1866 at either CL9 or 10 then you gain performance, if they have to drop to CL11 then you lose. As far as Advantages/disadvantages - disadvantages are obvious - heat and possibly damaging them or things around them....Advantages - none really - it's simply a tool to tune the sticks to what you want, which is an advantage if you know what you're doing
    !