Sign in with
Your question

Building my First Gaming PC - Is this a Good Set?

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2013 3:51:12 PM

I've never built one before but I did research and realized it might be better to build one myself.

Here are the specs: http://amzn.com/w/12NL0XS9PSFS2 (via amazon wishlist)

Overall it sums up to around $930 plus I need windows 8... and I want to drop the price range to about $700 if possible!

My question is is there anything I can change to save money yet keeping the performance? Will these fit in the case and I'm pretty sure these are all compatible with e/o, right?

The games I plan on playing are mostly on Steam (i.e. TF2, CounterStrike, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, Mirror's Edge, Call of Duty and downloading some to try out...).

Any suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks.
July 13, 2013 1:08:42 PM

You have 2 cases selected so I dont know what you want there. Firstly your CPU, the CPU you selected is not worth it. Grab yourself a FX 6300 and a cheapish AM3+ motherboard. The 6300 is $120 vs $200 for the i5. You can also over clock the FX. Get yourself cheap ddr3-1600 ram, it doesn't matter what brand. You probably don't need all those fans for your case either.
FX-6300- $120
AM3+ MB- $50-80
GTX 660- $200
CPU cooler-$20
DVD- $20
SSD-$100
RAM-$60
PSU- $50
Case- $40
Total: ~$700

Look in those price ranges, I don't know if you need to purchase through amazon but those are decent prices and should be the ranges you're looking at.
July 15, 2013 1:06:36 AM

kirilmatt said:
You have 2 cases selected so I dont know what you want there. Firstly your CPU, the CPU you selected is not worth it. Grab yourself a FX 6300 and a cheapish AM3+ motherboard. The 6300 is $120 vs $200 for the i5. You can also over clock the FX. Get yourself cheap ddr3-1600 ram, it doesn't matter what brand. You probably don't need all those fans for your case either.
FX-6300- $120
AM3+ MB- $50-80
GTX 660- $200
CPU cooler-$20
DVD- $20
SSD-$100
RAM-$60
PSU- $50
Case- $40

Look in those price ranges, I don't know if you need to purchase through amazon but those are decent prices and should be the ranges you're looking at.

Oops. thanks i put 2 cases there because i really wanted the prodigy but would settle for the cheaper case if necessary. I put 2 fans because I was debating if I would need those as well. Since you said I don't need it they're gonna get bumped off the list.

I was going to go with another motherboard, but I did research and it seems that intel outdid the competitors and I want a CPU that won't need upgrades. I also don't want to overclock since I'm a total newb and I don't want any risk because I'm building it myself. But I'll definitely check out the setup that you listed... I like how it's a lot cheaper and still runs efficiently! Thanks :D 
Related resources
July 15, 2013 1:12:37 AM

That looks pretty good,I take you don't plan on overclocking.
I would get a mid-tower and ATX board..
All in all though;That should game nicely :) \
Umm..If it was me..I'd throw in some overclocking-ness..a cooler..ATX OC-able board (z87)
As far cases go,any mid-tower will do.
July 15, 2013 1:24:30 AM

from what i see on that list now (760 dollars) i would drop the i5, its terribly expensive for the power it gives out, i'd switch that for a fx 8320 which is 50 bucks cheaper, get a similar-price AM3+ motherboard and upgrade that 660 into a 760.

you said you didnt want upgrades well there you have it.
July 15, 2013 1:27:18 AM

also very important thing i overlooked, you put in an SD instead of an HDD, bad idea, 120gb will vanish before the month is over, get a 1tb 6gb/s seagate or similar, for cheaper too.
July 15, 2013 2:53:31 AM

haras said:
kirilmatt said:
FX-6300- $120
AM3+ MB- $50-80
GTX 660- $200
CPU cooler-$20
DVD- $20
SSD-$100
RAM-$60
PSU- $50
Case- $40

Oops. thanks i put 2 cases there because i really wanted the prodigy but would settle for the cheaper case if necessary. I put 2 fans because I was debating if I would need those as well. Since you said I don't need it they're gonna get bumped off the list.

I was going to go with another motherboard, but I did research and it seems that intel outdid the competitors and I want a CPU that won't need upgrades. I also don't want to overclock since I'm a total newb and I don't want any risk because I'm building it myself. But I'll definitely check out the setup that you listed... I like how it's a lot cheaper and still runs efficiently! Thanks :D 

Your setup is still very good though! As previously mentioned I would personally drop the i5(for the fx 6300 or 6350) and upgrade your GPU. This would be a difference you would actually notice in the quality of your gaming. Just something to think about! For gaming GPU is much more important than CPU
July 20, 2013 5:18:01 PM

Thanks your all your help! :D 
!