Should I study for certifications during Summer?

Oracle Fefe

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
It's possibly the wrong question to ask, but I am Eighteen Years old looking to go to community college next Spring. I have not acquired a job yet but would love to continue pursuing a career in IT, hopefully programming/software engineering.

I've taken an idea on how I should plan forward, and was wondering if I should take Comptia's Strata IT Fundamentals, IT for Sales soon after, and, a year or two later, A+. My father says that before I could get certified that I must have a proper background such as a job or college experience first but I am completely unsure if this is true.

So I was wondering. Should I actually go along with my plan? Do I need a certain prerequisite met before I could actually be certified, and am I trying to take shortcuts or backtrack?
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

if you plan on going into it you will need to be better than the competition. every little thing you know that other people do not will help you in the long run.

certification is typically based on experience not college or years of experience. again, unsure of that specific certification but i would think that as long as you can pass the test you can get certified. unless you've been doing IT for quite awhile and are very intimatme with everything i would suggest waiting to take your cert tests.

Oracle Fefe

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thank you for the reply to this thread. Though, I still am very uncertain on whether I should continue with my plan or not but you do answer one of my questions in that certification is based on experience.

I must presume that simply studying and passing the test will not give me the full experience in one or two seasons, so I guess I'm edging towards waiting for the moment though I would love to hear many more opinions.
Edit: Well, this isn't a solution or answer, apologies for the wrong way of replying.