Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
First off, here are my laptop specs:

HP Pavilion Dv5t 1000 CTO
Windows Ultimate 32 Bit
4GB RAM (2.97 GB usable)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
nVidia GeForce 9200M GS (integrated)

Basically, I'm looking for games that would run well on my laptop.
I've seen compatibility testing sites like http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
but I've found that in most cases, they don't recommend an integrated card, so it's sorta pointless for me to rely on much of the info I get from places like that. What would really help is feedback from people who have graphics cards & systems similar to mine.

Just to give you guys some idea of the stuff I like, this is some of the stuff I'm in to:Minecraft, Terraria, any of the Lego games, Worms, tower defense, strategy, JRPGs etc. My all-time favorite games are Chrono Cross (for the PSOne) & Star Wars The Force Unleashed for the 360 (part one.. I never got to play part two).

I want something that I can play online w/my fiance who is currently out of state. His computer is brand new, so the only issue we have with his computer is game compatibility w/Windows 8. He's into pretty much everything from Skyrim to Scribblenauts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

G

I can recommend a game that'll run on your laptop: Black & White 2.

It'll run on a AMD Mobility Radeon X1300, so it'll definitely run on your laptop.

It's been around for a fair few years now, but it's still quite fun I think. Linky Linky. I suggest you check it out.

Sadly it's not an online game, but it's still good.

There is also Black & White, but I didn't like it as much. And the graphics look really dated, but it's an ageing game, so it's expected.

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

My fiance said he's played Black & White & he loved it. He hasn't played Black & White 2 yet, but he wants to. I'll check it out for something I can play on my own.

Thanks for the suggestion! Are there any online games like this you've played?

G

Sadly I don't often play games any more, and I've never played a similar game like this which has online mode.

Nowadays I play games which require teamwork, and are challenging.

Left 4 Dead 2 is a good game, even though it's been out for a few years. It requires teamwork. It's on offer on Steam at the moment. Though judging by what games you're interested in it probably may not be something you'll enjoy.

By the way, I believe that you can play Black & White multi-player over LAN (or use Hamachi if not on the same network).

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm not really into a lot of gore & stuff like that, so Left 4 Dead doesn't really appeal much to me. I'm not sure we could set up a LAN, but we do use Hamachi. I'll ask him if he knows anything about it. Thanks!

G

I just checked on the back of the Black & White box and apparently you can have 2-8 players.

I've never played multi-player with this game. I've hardly played it at all (I much prefer Black & White 2). But I reckon if you use Hamachi, it should be fairly straightforward to set up a game. :)

By the way, I would have recommended Minecraft, but I see you've already listed it. If you're getting a little bored of it, you could always look at some Minecraft mods if you're willing to take your time to learn them.

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

We love Minecraft, but he tends to get bored of it easily. We've tried some mods, but the lag is awful & mods make my laptop run extremely hot. (I use a program called Core Temp which monitors processor temperatures in real time) Just playing vanilla Minecraft online (using Optifine & no texture pack) is laggy & takes the temps up to 170-190 degrees Fahrenheit. Mods take it up to 190-200f easily & the lag makes it pretty much impossible to play. I can play mods (like Technic) & use texture packs if I play single player, but that's pretty much it.

FrayedEndsOfSanity

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Dont know about what games you'd be into but i can tell you that 32 bit version of windows doesnt support 4 gigs of ram. Soooooo If you can get yourself into a new shiny 64 bit you can take advantage of that 4 gigs you've got there and that could open up some options in the gaming world.

G

64 bit version of Windows would make it possible to use all the RAM, but most older games don't even use 1GB RAM, so it should be fine. And with those specifications more memory isn't going to make much difference with gaming as the graphics chipset is fairly weak even when compared with low-end modern graphics.

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

Wow, haven't posted here in the forums in YEARS!

Anyway, I know that I can't use all my installed RAM now, but I didn't know that when I bought the RAM, and nobody at Circuit City (yes, this laptop is THAT old, and it still runs decently) bothered to tell me. This laptop was my first computer and I didn't know diddly squat about computers & junk when I bought it.

I'll be getting a NEW laptop very soon, and I'm super excited, and I'll make sure that I can use all the RAM I buy for it! :D

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Since you're getting a new laptop and depending on its configuration, you might be able to play these:

http://remeshed.com/2015/10-games-female-protagonists-playing-year/