3960X VS 3930K - Early vs later batch?

SimonReborn

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Hello guys!

I'm building a custom PC in very near future. I´ve been sorting out parts and made design decisions for months but there is still way to many things I'm concerned of :/

I got a 3960x laying around here somewhere, completely unopened and ready to be used. I got this for a straight bargain a month or so back. There was this store which were selling them out for the same price as the 3930k would retail for and I couldn´t resist on picking one up ^^

The thing is, Its an early batch, a "SR0GW" to be exact, which is known to be a worse candidate in overclocking and does not support VR (Virtual Machine).

Now, I could prolly throw this badboy on ebay or something similar and get my money back, so my question is if I should pick up a 3930k instead?

I mean, Its been awhile since release and It´s one of the two who must have sold the most, so the only 3930k´s available must be later batches, plus, I dont recall the first batches of the 3960k´s having any problems anyways :/

So yeah, My question would be if it would be worth picking up a later batch of the 3930k instead of my early 3960x? I would have never bought this if it wasnt for the price, since thos extra 3MB cache seems like a unnecessary feature.

Also, I´ve heard that the 3960x is supposedly better binned, so if anyone want to answer this, feel free :bounce:

THANKS IN ADVANCE, LOVE YA ALL! :love:

Note: Rig is going to consist of a fully watercooled setup with 2-way 780´s.

apower101

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
If you want to OC go for it. But I wouldn't. Theoretically you are trading a 1000 dollar cpu for a 500 dollar cpu, and at stock speeds, the 3960x will beat the 3930k.

SimonReborn

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

lol, One man simply does not watercool his CPU if he aint gonne overclock it x)

So yeah, ofcourse I´m gonne OC it, Im gonne OC the shit out of it!!

Other then that, your answer basically gives me nothing in my quest for a answer, thanks anyways for the replay ^_^