Lenovo Z585 Memory upgrade for gaming

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Hello, So i have the Lenovo Z585 with the A10-4600m and 6gb of ram. I've heard that upgrading from 6gb to 8gb will enable dual channel support for your laptop but will only use single support if the ram sticks dont match. Is this true? And since the graphics card is half dedicated and half shared will this dramatically help with gaming performance or help at all? Also any links as to where to get the sticks and what speed would be highly appreciated. There's a micro center a town over from me, s i was just wondering which sticks and ill see if they have it there as well. But will be willing to order online if necessary. Any thoughts or other advice would help greatly thank you!

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Usually, when you match the speed, the size and the voltage of the memory modules and install the same, the laptop will enable the dual channel feature if it supports. That's the reason you been told that you need 8GB of memory. Yes, there is difference performance but it is not exclusively in the gaming department but felt overall. Since, you have integrated GPU on the your APU, getting more RAM is always the better choice.

I'd suggest you to check the speed of the existing 4GB module using CPU-Z. (Download it here). Then look for the same speed memory. You can get the memory from any one of the link:
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/IBMIdeaPadZ585.html
http://www.kingston.com/

If you have queries lemme know. Cheers, mate!!:sourire:

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks that was really helpful and the links as well! I'm going to check out the websites now thanks again!

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Hey just one more question my ram speed is 1333 on both would it be worth it to replace both to get 8gb in total with ram speed of 1600?

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Yes, that's a good idea. The difference between the speeds is not noticeable but computer will performance little faster.

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Yes, the memory is compatible and it will work. The chips are made by HYNIX, I do not see why it shouldn't work. Good luck.

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

:welcome: If you can, do post the results so that other users can benefit frm it!!

If you believe that your question is answered then please close the thread by selecting the answer you think which helped you. Cheers, mate!! :vip:

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Hm, I know this seems pathetic but i can't find where to state who gave the best answer and how to close a thread? I'd really like to credit you help please?

Dual-channel vs single channel will not improve your video card speed by much. You won't notice any difference at all. You'll have to run a benchmark to notice any difference, I'm guessing it will be less than 5%. The limiting factor is the video card hardware. You should have a dual video card setup in that laptop anyway.

According to Crucial's web site, your laptop should be on 1600 speed RAM, not 1330 http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=IdeaPad%20Z585&Cat=RAM

Is that what it came with or did you install some yourself?

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Oddly enough my laptop lacks the crossfire configuration that is in most lenovo z585. It's supposed to be an amd 7660g + 7670m with the crossifre option. But mine came with only the apu alone. And i ran that test to see what speed my ram was at and it said around 1300. So i assumed 1333. Is there a way to get the 7670m onto my laptop at this point? Because that would dramatically help with gaming. And I did not install any new ram yet.
http://microcenter.com/product/401917/IdeaPad_Z585_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Grey_Metal
This is the one that i got and you were right about the 1600 ram.

If all of their motherboards and cases are the same, you should have an empty slot for the add on card, but I have no idea if it would be a user replacable part or if it's soldered onto the motherbord. You may have to swap motherboards to get the second video card. If your system specs when you bought it show that it has the second video card, you would want to contact Lenovo and get a new system sent.

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

From what I understand its sautered on would that still be accomplishable if I were to do it myself? Do you think customer service or micro center would be able to do it for me of course for a good amount of $

I really doubt anyone outside of a Lenovo factory would take on adding on a video card that was not already on there unless it was in a socket made to be replacable. They may say they'll try it as long as they had no responsibity for the unit if it broke. I know if someone asked me to do something like this I would only try it given that it's on you if something breaks. Probably even just getting the part would be tough unless you order the whole motherboard. Probably the motherboard would be the best bet to get that video card but I could not say how the cost for that would be vs just getting a new laptop.

Gamers anonymous

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for the help but my laptop is barely a month old so a new mobo is a no go (no pun intended). I understand no one would want to take on such an odd job so i guess ill just do with what i have. Maybe look around to see what others have done to increase their gaming experience. Thanks a bunch.