My 720p Native HDTV supports 1080p?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I have an old SHARP LC-19DV22U HDTV with a native res of 720p from around 2007 that I've used as my monitor until I buy another. But as I'm playing around with my settings, I notice it supports 1920x1080. I always knew this, and for whatever reason just assumed that it could only support 1080i (which I assume is just 1080p but at 30Hz rather than 60Hz). However, just for kicks I was playing Borderlands 2 and set the resolution from 1156x684 (I play like that because my TV overscans at 1280x720...well used to... now it doesn't and just...I'm so confused...) to 1920x1080. To my surprise, the image wasn't downscaled at all and I noticed a ridiculous amount of resolution...and it was playing at what I could tell was 60 fps. So I'm confused, can someone explain this? What's going on here exactly?

Solution
Well like most HDTV's like that it will accept a 1080p input and scale it to the native resolution of the display. the native resolution of that set is 1440x900 from what I can find out anyway.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

Yea after writing this I soon discovered that was its native resolution. But then why is it that when I take a screenshot of the monitor, now set at 1440x900, and then take another when I set it to 1920x1080, I look at the properties and one says a resolution of 1440x900 and the other says 1920x1080? Shouldn't the latter have downscaled to 1440x900? And furthermore, why is it that at these resolutions text especially looks disgusting?

Psyntaur

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Apparently people here don't know much about resolution. I've been having the same issue as described in a thread I made, but all you get are the same answers from people. It's best to contact the manufacturer, because you will hear the same thing from people on these forums. Is pretty easy to assume stuff and not think much about someone's situation and blurt something generic and badly thought out just to get a "best answer" or some form of points as a member. I hope you found some legitimate answers.