Help with best gamming Build/Upgrade 2013

Need help with upgrading gaming pc build current specs are

windows 64bit home
msi p67 a board
8 gig ram ( 2 x 4g 1330)
i5 2500k@3.3- Ghz
amd radeon 6700 series
128 ssd
1tb HD 7200 rpm
monitor is a hp 2311 lcd series and a sanyo 32 tv
750 watt power supply
Glite Cooler Maste case

I play wow now and GW2 and wow frame rate jumps from 15-90 fps, I would like it to be at at least 60 fps steadily.
Thinking about going with i5-i7 4th gen and MSI Z87 XPOWER LGA 1150 dunno what video card to get either so that i can play multiple screens just fine. What do i need to upgrade first to see the biggest results, mother board/cpu or Graphics?? Please help!
18 answers Last reply
More about gamming build upgrade 2013
  1. Go with the GPU first, you've got plenty of CPU for gaming, I run my 2500K at 4.8 24/7
  2. Thank you for your reply!

    What GPU will make the biggest difference, I have a budget of 700 for now, but will be able to add another 600 within the next month. Do i go with IVY or Haswell, and what about the new msi Board is Xpower that much of a difference over the Mpower boards??
  3. aaronbundy1 said:
    Need help with upgrading gaming pc build current specs are

    windows 64bit home
    msi p67 a board
    8 gig ram ( 2 x 4g 1330)
    i5 2500k@3.3- Ghz
    amd radeon 6700 series
    128 ssd
    1tb HD 7200 rpm
    monitor is a hp 2311 lcd series and a sanyo 32 tv
    750 watt power supply
    Glite Cooler Maste case

    I play wow now and GW2 and wow frame rate jumps from 15-90 fps, I would like it to be at at least 60 fps steadily.
    Thinking about going with i5-i7 4th gen and MSI Z87 XPOWER LGA 1150 dunno what video card to get either so that i can play multiple screens just fine. What do i need to upgrade first to see the biggest results, mother board/cpu or Graphics?? Please help!

    Well I'm not sure on your budget but something like a Radeon HD 7870 or maybe a GTX 760 might do the trick for GW2 and give you some headroom for future MMO titles.

    You don't need to much Graphics right now and there are new AMD cards on the way this Fall. Your CPU is fine, no need to upgrade that anytime soon.
  4. Take budget out of the equation whats the best 3 boards that are compatible with the current cpu and new motherboard msi z87 Xpower? And would not be overkill for WOW and GW2 currently?
  5. aaronbundy1 said:
    Take budget out of the equation whats the best 3 boards that are compatible with the current cpu and new motherboard msi z87 Xpower? And would not be overkill for WOW and GW2 currently?


    Radeon HD 7970, GeForce GTX 770, Radeon HD 7950.
  6. can you please send me a link of which ones your talking about is it the msi cards or the gigibytes which brand? What do you think about the msi board will that make a big difference as well?
  7. aaronbundy1 said:
    can you please send me a link of which ones your talking about is it the msi cards or the gigibytes which brand? What do you think about the msi board will that make a big difference as well?


    It's mostly about the components they use. Motherboard based brands tend to have access to higher quality components so you get semi-custom cards like the MSI Afterburner series.

    MSI GeForce GTX 770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003 <--- comes with a very good cooler. I have one of these cards myself.
  8. Well I guess if the 7950 is good enough for you its good enough for me! IS there a significant diff between the 7970 vrs the 7950? If not ill just get the 7950. Would the mother board help to increase the FPS or not really? IF not then would a new CPU? What would you suggest I replace next after the GPU and in what order?

    Thanks!!!
  9. aaronbundy1 said:
    Well I guess if the 7950 is good enough for you its good enough for me! IS there a significant diff between the 7970 vrs the 7950? If not ill just get the 7950. Would the mother board help to increase the FPS or not really? IF not then would a new CPU? What would you suggest I replace next after the GPU and in what order?

    Thanks!!!


    depends if its OC HD 7970 or ref one, also depends if you plan OC HD 7950 and no don't need new motherboard maybe faster ram... will give you little boost , and possibly upgrade ur CPU cooler and OC your CPU

    otherwise Duel Xeon CPU, and motherboards i think evga make nice Mobo, not sure how effective this is for games if they be able use 2 cpu's and use 2nd one as more cores to give you total of like 8 or 12 or more depending on CPU and price but i don't know any mmo at moment uses more then 4 cores maybe 6 if your lucky and if so.. 6 cores extreme CPU's as well.
  10. bowzef said:
    aaronbundy1 said:
    Well I guess if the 7950 is good enough for you its good enough for me! IS there a significant diff between the 7970 vrs the 7950? If not ill just get the 7950. Would the mother board help to increase the FPS or not really? IF not then would a new CPU? What would you suggest I replace next after the GPU and in what order?

    Thanks!!!


    depends if its OC HD 7970 or ref one, also depends if you plan OC HD 7950 and no don't need new motherboard maybe faster ram... will give you little boost , and possibly upgrade ur CPU cooler and OC your CPU


    +1 on the faster RAM. You system is pretty solid other than that. Like bowzef was saying maybe a good CPU cooler in order to overclock your CPU. Nothing too snazy... something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO or better would do just fine with your 2500K overclocked.

    A 7950 would be perfect. They're very capable cards and with the Vapor-X cooler you should be able to take the core from 8xxMHz to around 1,100 to 1,300MHz. It's quite the performance boost.
  11. ElMoIsEviL said:
    bowzef said:
    aaronbundy1 said:
    Well I guess if the 7950 is good enough for you its good enough for me! IS there a significant diff between the 7970 vrs the 7950? If not ill just get the 7950. Would the mother board help to increase the FPS or not really? IF not then would a new CPU? What would you suggest I replace next after the GPU and in what order?

    Thanks!!!


    depends if its OC HD 7970 or ref one, also depends if you plan OC HD 7950 and no don't need new motherboard maybe faster ram... will give you little boost , and possibly upgrade ur CPU cooler and OC your CPU


    +1 on the faster RAM. You system is pretty solid other than that. Like bowzef was saying maybe a good CPU cooler in order to overclock your CPU. Nothing too snazy... something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO or better would do just fine with your 2500K overclocked.

    A 7950 would be perfect. They're very capable cards and with the Vapor-X cooler you should be able to take the core from 8xxMHz to around 1,100 to 1,300MHz. It's quite the performance boost.
  12. Thanks for your help everyone. I have 650.00 to spend right now should I put that all into a video card and a cooler now or what? If you had to change out the motherboard/cpu/gpu to make this system last another 5 years easy what parts would it be and could you send me a link of them via amazon or newegg etc.
    Would it be better to spend the extra 100 on the higher end GPU if im not going to OC anything?
  13. aaronbundy1 said:
    Thanks for your help everyone. I have 650.00 to spend right now should I put that all into a video card and a cooler now or what? If you had to change out the motherboard/cpu/gpu to make this system last another 5 years easy what parts would it be and could you send me a link of them via amazon or newegg etc.
    Would it be better to spend the extra 100 on the higher end GPU if im not going to OC anything?


    To be honest man, please dont go spending tons of cash on a new GPU, some people are still using 7700's and running things fine, for the games you play just get the 7870 a GREAT card, and performance is amazing, tbh there not alot of difference betwwen that and the 7950, but if you have the cash to splash get the higher ones, tho the 7870 is an Amazing card and almost too much for what you will be using them for.

    and i recoment the XFX series of cards, they are simply amazing and normally come with a ton of free games!!

    so yeah enjoy whatever you decide what to get!
  14. sorry to double post, but i forgot, i got my XFX black edition pre OC to 1000mhz (faster then a standard 7950) and its f*cking amazing,

    and please, you dont need to OC your CPU or anything, for the games you wana play (mmos) and fps they are all find, heck im running a i5-2500 atm, and after upgrading everything else, its now the last thing i need to, but even then, its run every new game lovely, and im sure i wont notice much of a difference,

    tbh im usually against OC'ing CPU's i mean, really can you REALLY notice a dramatic increase in performance from 3.4 to 4.0ghz i doubt it as i think OCing also voids your warrenty and i dont think its worth the hassle unless you buy it pre OC'ed so they come with a fresh warrenty, (what i did with my 7870) but tbh iu dont think self ocing is worth the risk for a bit of performance especially when you wont really be needing any more for gaming etc

    But thats my veiw!

    enjoy whatever you get man good luck!
  15. bowzef said:
    aaronbundy1 said:
    Well I guess if the 7950 is good enough for you its good enough for me! IS there a significant diff between the 7970 vrs the 7950? If not ill just get the 7950. Would the mother board help to increase the FPS or not really? IF not then would a new CPU? What would you suggest I replace next after the GPU and in what order?

    Thanks!!!


    depends if its OC HD 7970 or ref one, also depends if you plan OC HD 7950 and no don't need new motherboard maybe faster ram... will give you little boost , and possibly upgrade ur CPU cooler and OC your CPU

    otherwise Duel Xeon CPU, and motherboards i think evga make nice Mobo, not sure how effective this is for games if they be able use 2 cpu's and use 2nd one as more cores to give you total of like 8 or 12 or more depending on CPU and price but i don't know any mmo at moment uses more then 4 cores maybe 6 if your lucky and if so.. 6 cores extreme CPU's as well.


    actually its proven, that all the NEW games etc only use 4 cores, nothing on the market yet uses more the 4 cores just saying
  16. And currently very, very few even use 4
  17. so with my current build what upgrades should I make with my 750 budget to get the best performance. please provide links to the components because there are so many different kinds of really like to get something today!!
  18. oi oi said:
    sorry to double post, but i forgot, i got my XFX black edition pre OC to 1000mhz (faster then a standard 7950) and its f*cking amazing,

    and please, you dont need to OC your CPU or anything, for the games you wana play (mmos) and fps they are all find, heck im running a i5-2500 atm, and after upgrading everything else, its now the last thing i need to, but even then, its run every new game lovely, and im sure i wont notice much of a difference,

    can you provide a link to the gpu you got please


    which

    tbh im usually against OC'ing CPU's i mean, really can you REALLY notice a dramatic increase in performance from 3.4 to 4.0ghz i doubt it as i think OCing also voids your warrenty and i dont think its worth the hassle unless you buy it pre OC'ed so they come with a fresh warrenty, (what i did with my 7870) but tbh iu dont think self ocing is worth the risk for a bit of performance especially when you wont really be needing any more for gaming etc

    But thats my veiw!

    enjoy whatever you get man good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

msi-z87-xpower-lga-1150 CPUs Homebuilt