Windows XP to windows 7 problem!

Rhys Pattison

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Hello all just my problem/story i wish you could take some time to read and help me out would be appreciated!

I bought a new computer with no operating system a few weeks back, i installed an old Microsoft XP installation disc i had knocking about from years ago so i at least had something to put on my computer so i could use it, a few days ago my friend gave me a windows 7 installation disc which works perfectly fine as i used it on my dads computer to test it but when i come to install it on mine it gets to 70% and says installation failed due to missing files, now the only thing i could think of is that am i missing a windows XP service pack or something as this XP disc has to be at least 10 years old and i would of thought when i installed XP on my computer it would of pulled down at least some updates, but it pulled down nothing and had to install SP1 and SP2 seperatley but it hasn't which has got me thinking am i missing files or service packs which will not let me upgrade to windows 7? The disc definatley works because I put windows 7 on my fathers laptop last night.. any help i would be very grateful

The Windows 7 setup does not use any of the XP files so nothing currenty installed on the system would cause things. You can't upgrade XP to 7, you need to do a clean setup. You also need a valid Windows 7 code to setup the computer, you can't just re-use the same one. If you have a valid 7 code for the laptop, try doing a custom setup of WIndows 7, delete the partitions on the disk, create a new one and try again. This file copy error could be caused by a hard drive with issues also not just a bad setup disk. Make an ISO file of the Win 7 disk, then use the Microsoft USB utility to make a bootable USB drive http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You could also try making a USB boot disk from the DVD.

Rhys Pattison

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I am sorry, but this makes no sense to me at all, your saying i need a valid disc, but i have already said that my fathers laptop is also on windows XP and he had no bother upgrading to windows 7, i just simply popped the disc in and it installed with no problems. I am just having problems on mine which is extremely frustrating. have also noticed that i can not install any updates on XP it just tells me sorry an error occurred, could this be a reason?

I did not say that you needed a "valid disk" but a valid code. What I wanted you to try is to make a bootable USB stick from that DVD and try that. Also try deleting the partitoin and formatting it clean before doing the setup, just make sure your data is backed up.

What the XP installation does has no bearing on the Windows 7 setup, unless both issues are caused by a hard drive error. If the disk is bad, you'll have errors. Try running a disk scan with a disk check utility, there may be one in the BIOS or from the PC or hard drive vendor.