Sign in with
Your question

(various) GTX 780 thoughts and opinions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Which Brand of GTX 780 has the best cooler

Total: 12 votes

• EVGA ACX
  • 34 %
  • Gigabyte Windforce X3
  • 50 %
  • ASUS DC II (NEW??)
  • 9 %
  • Palit Super JetStream
  • 9 %
July 14, 2013 2:46:14 AM

Looking for peoples different opinions on the different branding of the GTX 780, Im currrently looking at purchasing and was wondering what other people thought of the EVGA ACX/Gigabyte WF X3/ASUS DC II (new and improved???)/Palit models etc, advantages in terms of performance overclocking and customer service possibly? i havent had to endure the experience some people have had about different manufacturers, just curious as to how people feel about the different brands.
July 14, 2013 2:52:46 AM

I voted for the Gigabyte, as the poll said best cooler, and the Gigabyte 780 has a beast of a cooler. However, I wouldn't purchase the Gigabyte, I would go for the EVGA ACX cooler. It cools almost as well as the Gigabyte, but makes up for it in warranty and customer service. EVGAs warranty is second to none, and I'd rather sacrifice a few degrees for their warranty.
July 14, 2013 2:57:08 AM

sophiebeth100 said:
I voted for the Gigabyte, as the poll said best cooler, and the Gigabyte 780 has a beast of a cooler. However, I wouldn't purchase the Gigabyte, I would go for the EVGA ACX cooler. It cools almost as well as the Gigabyte, but makes up for it in warranty and customer service. EVGAs warranty is second to none, and I'd rather sacrifice a few degrees for their warranty.

That's pretty much word-for-word what I was gonna say :-) Also voted Gigabyte but recommend EVGA overall. So... +1!

Bear in mind that the only reason nVIDIA is getting away with charging such extortionate prices for this (this much extra for 15% gain over the GTX770?!) is that for the first time in years they've managed to get their new range out before AMD launched their new lineup. Soon as AMD have an equal (or faster) model out, prices on the GTX780 will drop like a stone and early adopters are gonna regret not waiting.
Related resources
July 14, 2013 3:41:48 AM

Some benchmarks so you can see for yourself:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_7...

15% on average or 20% at 2560. Obviously factory-overclocked GTX780s will widen the gap with a stock GTX770, though obviously that comparison is disingenuous. If you compare a 10% factory overclock GTX770 to a 10% factory overclock GTX780 then it's still 15% difference (or 20% at 2560). Obviously only you can decide how much that extra bit of performance is worth. Remember though that difference will cost less when the new AMD stuff launches. If you really want a GTX780, that would be the smart time to buy - not now.
July 14, 2013 4:39:56 AM

BigMack70 said:
You can do the math for yourself. The acx is 5% faster than the Titan at 1440p, and the Titan is 23% faster than the fastest 770 (the lightning) at that resolution. Hence, a custom 780 is 25-35% faster. All my numbers are from TPU, you can go look at the relevant reviews if you don't believe me. I'd link them but I'm on my phone at the moment.

IMO 1440p numbers are the only ones relevant to the discussion since I don't know why someone would consider buying it for lower resolution. GK104 based boards are sufficient at 1080p.

Link them when you're done - they're very relevant to the discussion. Fastest clocked GTX770 vs fasted clocked GTX780. It's not up to you to decide what resolution is relevant by the way - ask the OP what they're using. Plenty of posts on here lately from people considering GTX780s for 1080p so you can't make that assumption.
July 14, 2013 9:55:47 AM

im on 1080p atm, upgrading from my gtx 670 which i found was too slow to play crysis 3 and a couple others (metro etc) at the top settings with a stable framerate, im considering getting a 1440p monitor though butnot just yet
July 14, 2013 11:08:42 AM

I think many people are going to show their manufacturer bias and choose their favorites... so the Palit choice isn't going to be very popular for that reason. Check out the review though of the Super JetStream. That's a really nice card.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_gtx_...

Idle at 29c and Load at 65c.
Load noise level at 38 DBa (same as a GTX 550 Ti), only 2 DBa higher than idle.
July 14, 2013 11:33:36 AM

kieranO said:
im on 1080p atm, upgrading from my gtx 670 which i found was too slow to play crysis 3 and a couple others (metro etc) at the top settings with a stable framerate, im considering getting a 1440p monitor though butnot just yet

You'd be best off getting a good GTX770 then. Your GTX670 must have been pretty close in Crysis 3, just not quite there?
July 14, 2013 2:35:38 PM

Thanks for posting those. So ~20% gain total at 1080p comparing the top GTX780 to the top GTX770. That 20% will cost you at least $200. If you really want / need that extra 20%, it would be well-worth waiting for the new AMD cards to drive down prices or you'll regret wasting your money on current pricing!
July 14, 2013 3:39:02 PM

I don't think 34 FPS in your favorite game is going to cut it with a GTX 770. For a single card, the GTX 780 looks like the minimum recommendation.

July 14, 2013 3:47:34 PM

That doesn't line up with other Crysis 3 benchmarks. Probably because of the 4x MSAA. Crysis 3 has SMAA built in - 2x SMAA delivers superior results to 4x MSAA (since it's fully post-process so covers alpha textures and edges infront of shader effects that MSAA misses) and has almost no performance impact (unless you turn it up to 4x SMAA, but there's little to no benefit over 2x SMAA).
July 15, 2013 1:12:56 AM

You should take a look at the AA page in Tom's Crysis 3 article. Almost no performance impact at all from 2x SMAA (within 5% framerate of no AA). Other benchmarks (check Tech Spot's article) have it at 0% difference. You can use injectSMAA to add SMAA to lots of games, though Crysis 3 has SMAA built in as standard.
July 17, 2013 1:47:17 PM

Just to address the thought of buying another gtx 670, thats not an option as i currently have a m-ATX board so no extra expansions possible
July 17, 2013 2:11:44 PM

If you can get a good price for your GTX670, grab a GTX770. Else the GTX670 is still an excellent card! Here's Crysis 3 AA:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/03/15/crysis-3-pe...

That 2x SMAA with 0% performance hit is BETTER quality than 4x MSAA! If you use injectSMAA you can add it to any game.
July 17, 2013 2:41:27 PM

I already sold the 670 and my 780 EVGA ACX was dispatched already
!