stock dell/ partition transfer/disk read error

G

alright, so i have a custom system with clean drives and no operating system. I also have a old dell laptop that i dont use, but it has a windows xp installation that i would like to use. im sure you all know where im going with this. ok, so i used slacko puppy to boot live from a usb flash drive and used pudd to copy the partition from the dell laptop to a external hard drive. then used same deal to copy patition to clean drive inside custom. to my surprise it actually booted into windows with no problem. I expected to have some sort of read error from the get go. anyway, after inside windows, i uninstalled current drivers and replaced with the correct drivers for the hardware. then i restarted and not so much to my surprise, disk read error.

just want to confirm it is because im trying to used a dell licensed version of windows.

please correct me if im wrong, i would love to use xp on this desktop.

if i am correct. my feeling are simply, dell can suck a fat d***.

and yes i know i can just buy a copy of xp off ebay. but im looking for an answer to my question.

That old dell uses an OEM copy of windows. It most likely won't activate on a new system and will expire in 30 days at which point you will get a nag screen telling you your version of windows isn't authentic.

G

yea, i had to go through an authentication process with a vista copy i had when i changed my system up. switched out the motherboard and the corresponding compatible parts. I thought the point of an oem version was you could use the os with different systems if you choose, just one system at a time. i have seen several copys of dell licensed windows, that say only for use with dell machines. i thought i remembered trying to install a copy onto an aftermarket system and had a similiar outcome.

An OEM copy is tied to the motherboard. A regular retail copy can be installed on any machine as long is it's only on one computer at a time. This is why a retail copy costs more than OEM. Also, retail comes with microsoft support. An OEM copy does not. It's up to the system manufacturer (Dell, Acer, YOU,...) to support it.

G

ahhhh, gotcha. thanks.