Which configuration is better for gaming and multimedia?

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
I am new to configuring PC's and I have finally come up with the final two builds that I need to chose between. My main goal for this PC is to be able to run ANY game at MAX settings at 1080p with a steady 60+ FPS. I will also be using it for lots of school work, (As I am only 13) such as video editing and programming. Please chose what configuration you believe is better and if you feel the need to make a change to a configuration feel free to do so. Please note: Price is NOT an issue! (THANKS in advance!) ALSO! I am not sure how many Watts of power I need in my PSU for either of these builds, I am interested in overclocking, so if you wouldn't mind telling me a good PSU and Wattage that would be much appreciated!

Configuration 1:

Case: Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming Case
CPU: i7 - 3770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB EVGA Superclocked
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
PSU: ???

Configuration 2:

Case: Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming Case
CPU: i7 - 4770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB EVGA Superclocked
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
PSU: ???

kirilmatt

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Since money doesn't matter the 2nd config. Haswell is a little bit better then IB, but it really wouldn't matter. As for PSU get a good 700W+ and you'll be good. Both configs are more then enough for your workload. You do not need such a high end GPU for gaming at 1080p, and the CPU is more then enough to power your GPU and other needs.

neither.

contrary to what kiril suggests if you want to run ALL games at MAXIMUM settings at 60hz then the gtx770 isnt powerful enough. it will run MOST games at maximum but realize that it can not even run crysis 3 @ maximum @ 1080p see link here so anything that comes out which is more demanding it is not going to run at maximum. keep in mind that if you turn down anti-aliasing down a few notches you can play the game at good fps without a noticible difference in quality.

a typical gaming computer draws between 450-500w so you should be safe with a good solid 650w psu. if you plan on sli in the future perhaps get an 850w since they come with the connectors.

instead of buying a pc i would suggest building your own. there are many knowledeable people here who can help you pick out parts. you will get much more for your money by going that route.

if you want i can host a short discussion up on freenode irc (free web irc) to discuss your options just let me know.

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I would really appreciate that!! What should I do for this discussion?

the only information you need to have are...

maximum budget
games you want to play
monitor you want to use
what your upgrade cycle plans are
as well as any preferences you might have on parts or brands.

i can discuss everything else from the top down.

what time zone are you and what times are good? its not going to be tonight since its already late and i'm not really feeling like a long discussion at this hour however perhaps tomorrow depending on what time you say.

it will be hosted on freenode.com webchat so you may want to see if you can load up into a room fine on there but it shouldnt be a problem. so far i havent had anyone who was unable to join.

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I looked at some benchmarks on the configuration site and it said that my finished computer, which included the GTX 770 EVGA Superclocked GPU, and all of the games, like BF3, Crysis 3, Skyrim and Far Cry 3 could all be run at MAX settings. Is there a reason for this? Or is it maybe messed up?

your hardware can "run" all of those games at maximum settings at 1080p however you stated that you wanted 60+fps. the gtx770 clocks in at mid 40's at best for crysis 3 over at anandtech. technically my 10 year old computer can play crysis 3 as well at perhaps 2-3fps. the mid 40's is generally described as the absolute cut off point between "acceptable framerates" and "not acceptable framerates".

we can discuss this in greater detail live when we have the session. you never did get back to me on a time.

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

When are you interested in having the session? If we do it today it has be DONE by three or STARTED around 9.

the room is now hosted at 9pm est.

https://webchat.freenode.net/
click "webchat"
enter in a username (ie your screename here)
enter in the channel (#ssddx)
enter in the security text (click reload if you cant read it)
click connect

if i do not respond right away just check back in a few minutes. i may be looking at other windows while i wait.

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I am SOO Sorry I am late. I had a friend in need, and I was busy, and I couldn't get to my computer. PLEASE forgive me. Is it to late to chat?

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I am SOO Sorry I am late. I had a friend in need, and I was busy, and I couldn't get to my computer. PLEASE forgive me. Is it to late to chat?

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

You aren't in the room though....

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

Hey I can chat now. I'll be waiting in the same chat room when u see this MSG.

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

Hey, you able to talk yet, or are you still busy?

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

Are you able to talk right now? Or are you busy? I need some help with monitors. I am really confused....

Griffin832

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

Hey, can you talk now or are you busy? BTW don't worry about missing last night. I understand you were probably busy...see you soon!