Total Ram being reported different by different apps

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hello all. I have 3x4gb Patriot 1600 DDR3. My total memory in BIOS is reported as 8gb, in Windows Device Manager as 8gb. But in CPU-Z, it shows 12gb running in triple channel, and in my Asus board's utility app, you can scroll through each slot. Slots #1, 3 and 5 are all reporting 4gb apiece for a total of 12. Which should I believe? And is there any way to fix it so it is reported as 12gb everywhere?

Right now, I have the 3 dimms in slots 1, 3 and 5. Now, If i install them in slots 6, 5 and 3, it will report everywhere as 12gb, but only in dual channel. Being an x58 board, i was told that it should really be in triple channel to function properly. I didn't really notice a difference between the 12gb in dual and the (reportedly) 8gb in triple.

Also, the ram in my BIOS was defaulted to 1333 mhz (i think, going off of memory), and the dimms themselves say 1600 mhz on the back of them, so i went ahead and bumped the bios setting to 1600 mhz to match. I also haven't noticed any difference between the two settings.

Things I have tried - all different possible configurations as far as which slots are populated and which aren't - ie, 3 black slots populated (won't POST), 3 blue slots populated (how it is set up now), and all kinds of other configs. My cpu isn't overclocked at all, not sure whether or not that makes a difference. Ive tried reseating the processor, reseating the ram chips. I'm out of ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Board - ASUS P6x58-E WS
Chip - Intel I7 970
Ram - Patriot DDR3 1600 mhz 3x4 gb

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

According to ASUS website, the P6x68-E WS board has a latest BIOS of version 0301 with a release date of 2011/03/11. Mine is being reported as version 0301 but with a release date of 2011/02/22. The update with the most recent date on it (but same version number) on Asus site says it was to "Correct the "DRAM Bus Voltage" item value in OS." Any thoughts on this?

I'm going to try bumping up that DRAM voltage and report back. Thanks for the help.

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Ok, so the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage setting in BIOS was "AUTO". Next to that, it said the normal setting was "1.2", so i changed it to "1.25". No difference. BIOS and Windows reporting 8gb, CPU-Z and my ASUS motherboard utility both reporting 12.

From what I've read, CPU-Z takes it's readings directly from the BIOS. If thats true, why would BIOS report 8 but CPU-Z report 12? Also, if it was a bad slot, would the ASUS motherboard utility still be able to detect a 4gb stick in all three slots?

Dleslie212

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Hoping its not a bad slot. I also did a little googling, and apparently this is a common problem for X58 boards. I found this link:

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-12gb-memory-overclocking-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

Unfortunately, most of the solutions are pretty much gibberish to me.