Reading old dos diskettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwood

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I need to retrieve the data off of 2.5 diskettes. I do not know what software was used to do the accounting on them. They are from 1993-1998. I have an XP that has a disk slot. I really need these to open and print the information. There are not any copies. I downloaded Dosbox but I can not get it to mount. The first disk is labled: CPBACKUP.001

It appears as though the file was created using cPanel Backup (http://applications.cpanel.net/cpbackup/). There is a free download of the software used to create the backup at that site.
"cPBackup is the best FREE method to automate the process of backing up cPanel / WHM reseller accounts to an offsite server using FTP or SCP protocols. Simple, free and email notifications upon completion."

needamiracle

Honorable
May 28, 2013
cpanel backup or not, I doubt you can read the diskettes with an XP
OS as they will not have been formatted accordingly.
Hope you can find a machine still running win 98 or 95 !!
Good luck.

Windows XP should be able to read diskettes formatted with earlier versions of Windows. The way a diskette was formatted had not changed much, if any, from the prior versions of Windows. However, it will depend on how the disk was formatted and whether or not DOS (from inside Windows or a command prompt) was used to format the diskettes.

pwood

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I just cleaned and gave away my compaq 95 last year. Did not realize these had not been printed out or that I would need them Our bookkeeper is no longer alive. Does anyone know what software I might need, or other suggestions. Will look for an old computer. Thank you

pwood

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

How can I find out the command prompt?

There are two ways to find the command prompt in Windows XP.
Method One:
Click on Start
Click on All Programs
Click on Accessories
Click on Command Prompt

Method Two:
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type cmd.exe
Press enter

Just as an aside, the FAT16 file system used on PC floppies prior to Windows 98 hasn't changed in some 25 years, and FAT32 hasn't changed since it's inception. However, the much older FAT12 may give modern floppy drives fits, assuming that any have survived the ages.

needamiracle

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I am possibly the only one posting on this thread that has
experienced this problem 1st hand.
For about 12 months I ran a PC double booting Win 98 and Win XP.
There was no way the XP would read the diskettes written by 98 -
it suggested I format them.

pwood

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

pwood

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Well a driver on my XP failed. But before that it did ask if I wanted to format the disk, like needamiracle said
Looking for an old PC, post when I find something

Mar 3, 2020
I need to retrieve the data off of 2.5 diskettes. I do not know what software was used to do the accounting on them. They are from 1993-1998. I have an XP that has a disk slot. I really need these to open and print the information. There are not any copies. I downloaded Dosbox but I can not get it to mount. The first disk is labled: CPBACKUP.001

I hate to be rude, but everyone here is way off.

These are backup disks created by the backup software that came with MS-DOS 5.0 or later, or one of the early Windows versions, such as 3.0, 3.1, or 3.11. The "CP" in the backup name stands for "Central Point," the company that made the backup software for Microsoft DOS and Windows.

I recommend that you get an older PC (Should be cheap) prior to the year 2000, with a 3.5" (You said 2.5 diskettes, but there is no such size. It's 3.5") floppy drive.

You should also make sure this PC has a good working Hard Drive with at least 5 MB of free space for every disk you are seeking to restore.

Install MS-DOS 6.22. Locate and start the DOS version of the backup software first (DOS is faster and less limited by the multitude of Windows configuration settings), and choose the restore function. It should prompt you to enter the first disk in the backup series ".001" If the backup disk series were encrypted when they were made, you may be asked for a password to restore the files.

If that doesn't work, install Windows 3.1 on top of the DOS you just put on that machine, and use the Windows version of the backup software.

If this doesn't work, then I suggest you write down any error messages, and post them here along with a link to a copy of that first backup disk imaged (using disk imaging software) and uploaded to your Google Drive account. I can examine the header information of this image and determine if we need to use a different version of the backup software, or if you feel confident enough, you can do this yourself.

Good Luck!

IAmSpace

Status
Not open for further replies.