Components for a budget virtualization desktop

NitinAb

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
There are two parts to this post (because no question can be this darned long, right?), one open ended one asking for suggestions and improvements over the current list of components I have selected, and a second one asking specifically for a good graphics card that fits the bill. Now on to the description then:

A computer that will be used primarily to run anything between 3-4 virtual machines 24x7, some python and C/C++ compiling, Gimp/Adobe Photoshop usage and games like Empires 2 or Skyrim / Crysis 2.

The List:

Processor: AMD FX 8350
Because: # of cores, better performance for virtualization (hopefully). Although all my previous processors have been Intel, ever since Pentium came out (yes I am still in my 20s) I 'want' to try an AMD, and more bang for the buck.

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard
Because: Fits the budget <200$, has support for USB3.0 headers and IOMMU (although it's not listed on a list here) So I would appreciate if someone who is actually using this board could confirm.

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-800GUK 800 Watts PSU
Because: Room for future expansion.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1 TB

Case: Corsair 500R

And now for the graphics card: I am planning to have have a three monitor setup in the future ( the motherboard does not have integrated graphics ) so which would be the best graphics setup in terms of budget ( 100$ - 150$ ), compatibility (Linux drivers) and IOMMU support.

Also I was wondering if the factor that we have ambient room temperatures between 20 C to 35 C be a factor in all of this.

Look for the purpose u r looking for buy an intel i5 4670k with z87 mobo
U ll get the best results
Just add a hyper 212 plus cooler for increasing life of the sys and if u want to overclock den get a h80i and u ll have the power to perform

Fx 8350 is far behind intel haswell so go wid intel