New fans in OEM Dell case

Wondergimpy

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I've got a Inspiron 620 that I installed a Zotac 660TI that has been sent back RMA due to bad fan bearings. In the mean time, I'm thinking about possibly modifying the case for more airflow. Already replaced the junk rear stock fan with an Antec 92mm but the only other place to put one without cutting up the case is the side bezel (which I could either drill/bolt or epoxy a 120mm to). Unfortunately, without any front air flow, is this a good idea and should the fan be exhaust or intake?

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Air will be drawn in from front to back whether or not there is a front fan, assuming the front is not obstructed. Just let negative pressure draw air in. Conventionally, side fans are intake to blow air directly onto the gpu, but I would make it an exhaust fan since you aren't mounting a front fan. That way air will still enter from the front, cooling the hard drive then gpu and cpu, before exiting from exhaust.

Wondergimpy

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Thanks, the front is solid with air flowing through the bezel only. When I get my replacement 660ti in I'll see if the new fan will suffice on its own.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Great, negative pressure builds have their advantages especially when it comes to cooling. Don't let people convince you otherwise.

Please mark this solved to close the thread. Cheers.