Monitor starts displaying random colors after a few minutes and then stops. PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinkel

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Alright so recently I had no monitor due to my last one being sent out for repairs and I happened to just get it back today. I plug it in and boot up my computer and everything runs fine.. but after a few minutes everything just stops and all these random colors start flashing on my monitor until the monitor turns off. Its not just a line of rainbow colors but actual solid colors flashing from one color to another until it stops. Its not my monitor since I've tried plugging in another one and I get the same result. Everything inside my tower seems to be fine as well.. no odd sounds or anything weird. Its all clean as well, no dust. Can someone please help me out here?

Solution
The fact that it takes a few minutes for the issue to arise suggest that it might be a heat issue.

Can you test your repaired monitor on another pc?
I would presume that you do not have integrated motherboard graphics available.

If you can borrow another card to test with, that would be best.

Past that, you are left with buying a new card and hoping that it will fix the problem.

One last possibility is a power supply problem. A cheap psu can deteriorate and not give the graphics card sufficient power.
Since a different monitor gives you those results, I would guess that your graphics card might be failing.

Has the card been overclocked? If so, back off.
Has the graphics driver been updated to currency?
Do you have case cooling issues? Take the side covers off and direct a fan at the innards to see.
Partss do fail. If it is under warranty, get it replaced.

Heinkel

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Its actually been off since I've been waiting for weeks for this new monitor. So bad cooling shouldn't be a problem. It could be that my graphics card is failing! How can I find out that its the graphics card?

The fact that it takes a few minutes for the issue to arise suggest that it might be a heat issue.

Can you test your repaired monitor on another pc?
I would presume that you do not have integrated motherboard graphics available.

If you can borrow another card to test with, that would be best.

Past that, you are left with buying a new card and hoping that it will fix the problem.

One last possibility is a power supply problem. A cheap psu can deteriorate and not give the graphics card sufficient power.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.