Do I need more fans/better airflow?

foxehkaz

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Hi all.

I've recently taken an interest in the temps my PC is running at (after re-applying thermal paste).

I'm thinking the airflow in my case and/or fans isn't quite right.

This is my case: http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?category_id=3592&product_id=6727

I've got a 120mm rear fan, an Alpine Pro 11 heatsink fan (?) and a GPU fan (that doesn't seem to do too much).

Should I have some front fans and/or side fans?

Specs and Temps:

i3 530 2.93 @ 3.96
ATI Radeon HD 5700

Idle Temps: (can't post image)

Temp 1: 42
Temp 2: 25
Temp 3: 35
HD: 35
GPU: 41
Core 0: 42
Core 1: 45

GPU jumps to ~72c on load.

Ambient room temp is probably pretty high. Has been around 30c in the UK this week, with no A/C in room at all.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps don't mean much. It is when the processor/MB/card is stressed that matters. Those idle temps are fine, as I would expect them to be. The card's fan will run slow when it isn't in heavy gaming and picks up speed as needed. You probably saw the fan running at idle and thought it was kinda wimpy. You need to get some readings when gaming or when running a benchmark pgm.

I like to see at least a front and rear case fan if your case has an open top for thermal convection. If the top is enclosed, I'd consider adding a bottom (or even side fan) intaking air. The idea is to get as much air flow as possible in and out of the case; more in than out. Positive pressure.

TRENDING THREADS