GPU Heating Problems?

G

Hey there everybody! I have a question about PC's. Recently, my GTX 560 has been heating up alot when it comes to playing video games. My question is how do I fix this, Also for some odd reason the temp tray that I use to monitor my PC always registers my CPU as 40 celsius, even under load. Not sure if heat sensors are fucked up, or if my GPU is even heating up that much due to the constant 40 celsius on my CPU.

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

More information would be helpful in providing you meaningful feedback.
What temps is your GPU reaching?
What model is your CPU?
Is it overclocked?
What cooler do you have?
What thermal paste did you use when installing it?
How long has it been since the build (thermal paste needs to be reapplied after a certain amount of time)?
What is the model of your motherboard?
What make/model is your GPU (there are several variations of the 560)?

Arc Shot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

My GPU is hitting 90-100 Celsius on load
CPU is a non over clocked AMD Phenom ii x4 965 black edition non over clocked

I have the stock cooler for both my GPU and CPU

Thermal paste I used was a thermal stock pad around march last year

Mono is an msi 970a-g45 I believe

GPU model is a standard 1GB Galaxy gtx 560 non to

Thanks for the reply, I seriously appreciate it :)

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Graphics Card:
99 C is the max for the card at load. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560/specifications

CPU:
40 C at idle is a bit too warm. 40 C at load is a bit unbelievable/too low.

Regardless, if you want to lower the temperatures clean the computer of dust. Dust will trap heat. Adjust GPU fan profile and raise rpm until you bring the temps down to 90 C at max load. You didn't mention if you were using the stock cpu heatsink, though even if you were temps shouldn't be that high at idle - especially since the cpu isn't overclocked. BUT, buying a CPU cooler will help with temperature issue.

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I would be concerned if my 560 were reaching 90C at stock speeds.

Some things to check for:
Do you have the most current GPU driver installed? http://www.geforce.com/drivers
Can you verify that the GPU fans are spinning?
Can you adjust the fan speed with MSI Afterburner or a similar program to compensate for the heat?
What program are you using to monitor your CPU temps? I recommend Core Temp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ You can make it log your CPU temp information to a file so you can more closely examine what is going on.
You can also log GPU info with MSI Afterburner. I recommend doing this as it might shed light on the nature of your problem, just make sure you enable all of the info collection possible in the settings.
40C is kinda hot for idle. My CPU is in the 20's for idle, for instance. Make sure you're really idle by eliminating every process you reasonably can via task manager.
Cleaning dust as theclouds suggested is good, too, but make sure you *do not* use compressed air. Some online guides recommend it, but as soon as you forget to keep it tilted up at all times, you release a bunch of crap onto your motherboard.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
drewhoo, is spot on. Start at baseline. Eliminate all extraneous processes. The performance window in Task Manager is great for monitoring load. Determine the lowest operating temp from there. If you're still at 40 C, you may need to reapply thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink for good measure.

+1 do not use compress air. Use a air compressor compatible for PC cleaning like MetroVac.

Arc Shot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Thank you all for the responses, it feels great to have help :D
I am using my CPUs stock heatsink, I'll attempt to reseat it soon.
As for my gpu the fans do run, but even when the fans are at 100% in nvidia control panel it still hits in the 90s

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Average lifespan of the card really depends on overall avg operating temp. As you long as you're not over 90 often, you will be fine. Also, all modern video cards will self manage voltage essentially auto-underclock if temps get to levels where permanent damage could result.

Conslusion: Your card will be fine. Take care of the cpu, though. You didn't list which processor you had, but I'm going on the assumption you'd want to use it for at least 1-2 years maybe more down the line. Not too worried about the GPU since you'll more than likely replace it before it goes bust. Good luck. Cheers

G

Thanks for the help, I realized it was the monitoring problem with the CPU and not the heat sensors going bust :3, Thanks for the help