Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital external drive plugged directly to motherboard issue.

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2013 9:01:53 PM

WD external drive power circuit board failed, dissasembled unit and plugged drive directly into computer, the computer recognizes the drive is there but won't let me assign a drive letter without formatting it, I have a lot if info on the drive but I'm afraid if I format the disc I will lose all of my data. Right now it is RAW and says I have no data on the drive. If I format to NSTF will I lose everything or will it now show what I have on it?
July 16, 2013 7:48:56 PM

Well! Do you have a backup of everything important?

If so, you could directly try to format it and see whether it could be fixed.
But, if you unfortunately have no any data backup, you’d better not to format this drive, since the formatting process may make thing worse.

In this case, you should try to use data recovery software that could easily help retrieve inaccessible data from a RAW partition or drive. You should always do much research and select a most proper one for your partition.

You could check these drive data recovery freeware at first:
freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/wd-hard-drive-recovery.html

And then, format this drive and try to assign a letter for it on your computer after the data recovery process.

Note: After experiencing this, you should learn to save copies of everything important on different drive or locations.
Related resources
!