How to fix my computer, nothing turns on except front display and hard drive

areamer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I'm trying to build my first computer and I'm lost. I've watched the videos and set everything up, but nothing works. When I turn on the power supply the only thing that turns on is the hard drive and it makes a beep noise. In addition to that, the lights on the front panel such as the temperature sensor work and the power button light but not the actual button. Other than that nothing works. Not the case fans or the heatsink fan. Help would be appreciated! thanks!

the list of my parts is as follows:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1eJHI

Peaceguy

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Is the Heatseat fan's Cord connected to the Motherboard? Also you can't just rely on videos. You need to read your Hardware manuals. There is some important stuff in them.

areamer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Yes the heatsink fan is plugged in to the motherboard. I read the manuals for all the parts thats why I'm so confused.

Peaceguy

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Are the Fans the only thing's not turning on? Or are there other hardware thats not working. That's no good if your heatsink fan isn't working. Find a 4 Pin converter to convert the 4 pin fan header to 4 pin molex connector and plug it directly into your Power Supply. If it runs then your dealing with a Power issue on the Motherboard or there's too many fans. It could also be a faulty heat sink fan. I would try to get a new one if you don't have a spare one. If that doesn't fix it try returning it...

areamer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I'm not sure. Like I said I'm new. The fans should be pretty obvious to see if they're not working. I know the hard drive turns on and the optical drive turns on but won't open up. I have 4 fans on there. None of the fans work. So I have no idea what is wrong. I tried plugging it into the power supply directly and it does nothing.

Peaceguy

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Ok, If it does nothing then the Motherboard being powered is fine. Everything should be working in that, But you said CPU Fans AND The other fans are not working. If you have a spare 4 pin connector fan to connect to your motherboard try that to see if that works. If it works then your Cpu fan is garbage. If you dont have a spare fan I think it's still garbage cause you said you tried testing it from the power supply and you get nothing. But check your Bios before anything. It's possible you could tweak something in the bios that may turn on your Fans.

areamer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I tried that with the connection, still won't work. I can't get to bios because nothing boots up except for hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS