PS4 or custom Build for equal price(ish)

PS4 or described build

• PS4

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Custom Build

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Jonny-Goddard

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
So, my situation is I am a novice to PC building, traditionally being a console based gamer.
With the next gen of consoles here I wondered whether I could assemble a pc of equal or greater performance to a ps4, for the same price.
Here is the list of components that i was thinking about:

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/206899

What I want to know is will this build (or one that you suggest) perform as well or greater than a ps4 AND be future proof enough to last through the PS4 - Xbone era.

Quite simply, you are trying to compete against a dedicated gaming device at the same pricepoint, with a PC which is simply a machine that can have gaming performance.
If you could win that fight, Sony/Microsoft have done something pretty wrong.

If you can only afford to spend as much as a console for a gaming machine, get a console.

Kingbob

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
The CPU, case, and PSU, scare me a little bit.
Just so you know, you can't do local mulit player if you have a PC, however, if you're into indie games, the PC s king. You should spend more than the price of the Xbox one if u want a gaming rig that will outlast the consoles. Just an FYI.

Jonny-Goddard

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I accept and appreciate what you are saying, which is why I thought about a motherboard which supports crossfire so in the future i could put in another 7770. And also using only one of the ram slots.

I do currently have a crappy laptop on which i play games (that aren't too graphically demanding) so I know how pc gaming works, But I am new to building one.

Also I know the case is crappy, but I won't be overclocking or anything and I'm not worried about noise so it only needs to hold the components and let the fans do the work. Might add a couple fans to the case if it runs too hot.
Cheap PSU, well if it dies it's only £11 so it's not that much of a loss.
Wasn't aware that the cpu was bad.

Jonny-Goddard

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I thought about that but the ps4 uses some kind on amd apu if i'm not mistaken, and the clock speed on the cores (1.6Ghz I think) seems very low. The 7770 I chose seems to give decent benchkmarks and can apparently run crysis 3 on high at 1080p, at around 30fps which is alot more than im used to with my laptop.

Kingbob

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

No, he's right. The PS4 is made specifically for gaming. Everything about it is optimized that way. Youll need to pay a bit more for a PC.

Jonny-Goddard

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Ok. Well I think I found my answer then.
Thank you

EDIT: What if I changed the gpu to this 7850?
http://www.ebuyer.com/434548-xfx-hd-7850-core-edition-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dual-displayport-fx-785a-cnjc

I heard that this is equal to the ps4 gpu

bangerdx

Reputable
May 7, 2014

You shouldnt buy a 7850 because it is a last generation product. Though the PS4 is equivalent to that, its hardware won't change for another 7 or so years. PC's, however, move along too fast. Consider a GTX 660 minimum for midrange these days. Maybe get an R9 270 or 270X. If you have money to spare, get a GTX 760. And by the way, NEVER skimp on the PSU. Spend 40 dollars minimum, and get only trustable brands, like Corsair, Cooler Master, Zalman, Antec, or Seasonic. You risk frying your parts with that kind of hardware. I swear, those cheap PSUs are weapons of mass distruction, fit in a cute box inside your case, just waiting...

Besides, Sony and Microsoft buy those items in bulk, and they mark up the prices on them anyways... it is going to be pretty hard to build a PC equivalent to the PS4 and Xbox One at the same price point. Right now, go with a console, until you can find cheaper prices (1-2 years or so)

http://www.logicalincrements.com/levelcap/

Visit that site to get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

bangerdx

Reputable
May 7, 2014

Before the consoles came out, you would be fine with a low end card. My friend owns the 9800 GTX card and he still maxes out almost all of his games. True, alot of time has passed, but the 7850 was still not particularly formidable during that time either. However, if that is all you can afford, then by all means, go for it.