Few Questions About PSU Connectors (OCZ ModXstream-Pro 600w)

TheQueenMedic

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hello, there! :)

I am finally working on this ITX build again, and I've come across another problem which I'm sure everyone has gone through before as a noob. 'What connects to what, again?'

I'm building as I type, so I'm probably going to come back with some more questions as I go (I hope no one minds). I really do appreciate you guys!

First question: how do I "daisy-chain" fans?

I have this motherboard - which has one connection on it for fans, but my case (as you'd imagine from it being a Cooler Master) has two fans and another I bought, which totals three. I want to connect it directly to the PSU because the fans only have 3 pins and the motherboard has 4 (for fans). The case came with molex connectors for the fans, and I have a spare, so I just need to know how to daisy-chain (I hope that is the correct terminology) to the PSU. Do I use the peripheral connector, PCI-e, etc etc to connect the fans since each type seems to have a specific job (my last PSU was labelled better).

Thank you very much!!

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hey, there.

3 pin and 4 pin fans go on the motherboard. The molex connectors to the PSU. That's generally how I go about building my systems.

Now, if you must, there are 2/3 pin molex adapters which would allow you to plug 3 pin case fans to the PSU.

For daisy-chaining, your fans should have male and female molex connectors that will allow you to do just that. If not, your PSU comes with more than enough molex connectors for your fans. I know, bc I used the same PSU for one of my previous builds. Also, it isn't necessary to occupy all the fan ports on the case. Two cents. Hope this helps.

TheQueenMedic

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Yes, that helped a lot. Sorry for responding a day late!

TRENDING THREADS