Been playing games since I grew thumbs, Looking for something new!

thecynicalmonk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hey guys,

So I've played all sorts of games in the past, varying from first person shooters to fantasy/post-apocalyptic rpgs. I've played MMORPGs, MMORTS, DOTA like games, hack and slash, and epic story driven sagas. I'll list my favorite "types" of game below, maybe you guys can help direct me towards a game that meets my interests.

World of Warcraft (been playing since 2004, getting a little old now)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (played off and on during deployment, love the game)
Fallout 3 (will always hold a dear spot in my heart, I LOVE story driven games that immerse you as good as this game does!)
Borderlands 2 (Its ok, I kinda like it but seems a little sloppy tbh. But I like how its sort of CoD meets the fantasy world. i.e. bosses, levels, items, etc.)
CoD: MW3 (My go to game during deployment)
CoD: Black Ops 2 (My "I'm frustrated with life and wanna get some headshots in real quick" game :p )
Dragon Age I/II (One of my favorite storyline games!)
Star Wars KotOR I/II (Same as above)
Mass Effect (Never got to play the whole game through, lost interest. But same as above in terms of storyline/dialogue games)

Hope you guys can help me out, if not then just discuss your favorite game(s) below. This is a discussion thread.

Thanks,
the ever-so CynicalMonk!

Well my first suggestion would be to play all 3 Mass Effect games, perhaps starting from scratch not in the middle of your old uninterested play through. Personally that is one of my favorite series of all time (as well as KotOR) and I know a lot of people hated the ending of 3 but I thought it was beautiful. I have played through each game 3 times making different decisions and using different classes and found each experience to be different and exciting. If you do decide to play them I suggest using a different class than your first time, that could certainly help.

Another absolutely great story game is The Walking Dead (Episodic and comic art). This one isn't the longest game, about 20 hours, but this one as well has replay potential since there are many cases where you have to make (sometimes very quick) decisions that affect both story and game play.

Next I would suggest Skyrim since you love Fallout 3. This one is probably pretty obvious and you probably have already played but you didn't list it so I have to mention it. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is still a great game if a little outdated now too.

For another RPGish suggestion how about Dishonored? This one I haven't been able to play much myself but what I have I enjoyed. Also it got a lot of critical acclaim and lots of people liked it.

Finally I know this suggestion isn't in one of your preferred genres but hey maybe that's what you need to shake things up for you. Try either medieval 2 total war or Rome total war. These games are pretty old which makes them pretty cheap if you want to try them out, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. These are both massive games where you take on the role of the leader of an empire. The gameplay is split between campaign map and battle map settings. On the campaign map you control economy, politics, construction, recruitment, etc. and then on the battle map you command your armies in combat. If you end up liking them look into picking up the new Total War Rome 2 coming out in a couple months. There are several other games in this series spanning different time periods but these are widely regarded as the best.

Hopefully SOME of these suggestions will be fun for you, if not sorry and I'll try to come up with something else, good luck in your quest.

TheStillPitt

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Ah sir, I see you wanted to change your usual order up, may I recommend some of the specials?

The orange box bundle on steam has a wonderful rich experience in half life 2. It provides a smooth storyline that will leave you feeling full and sated, it also includes a side of team fortress 2, (which we actually offer free to the community in need now) It's made from the same roux as COD but is much lighter and overall easier to stomach. It makes you want to keep coming back for seconds though. It also has a portal appetizer which is one of our in house favorites.

I see you often enjoy a rich, thick story. May I suggest, like my counterpart above, Oblivion? It has the same mouth feel as Fallout, but has a more classic flavor. The story is much richer as a whole too. The thieves' guild storyline will leave you almost too stuffed to have the rest of the main course. Morrowind still tastes great, but to be honest it gets a little more stale every time I go back for a new helping. If you can get past its rough crust, you'll find it's interior still palatable and delicious.

I also had a weird allergic reaction to Mass Effect. I hear it's very uncommon but still it made me sick and I just couldn't finish it. It's a pity because the bioware base usually sits so well with so many. I just want you to know you're not alone and it's not something that makes you less of a game connoisseur.

I haven't tried it myself, but the busboy says if you have the taste buds to appreciate both WoW and KOTOR, that The Old Republic is a great dessert to round out the whole meal.

All of that aside, we have a few special libations for a more discerning customer. They're particularly hard to find but the world is a less palatable place now that they have no true successors:

Sacrifice '00. Rich with a full body. Tastes a bit different to everyone. Regretfully the vineyard it came from shut down. Some sort of Earthworm problem. They never made a second batch.

Tie Fighter '94: I'm told this is nearly impossible to find nowadays. It's far different from anything you've ever had, but if something to compliment story is what you're looking for, you've found it. It was often overshadowed by the more popular Wing Commander vintage, but I feel proved to be the more approachable and richer experience. At the time, I would've chosen the more expensive WC line, but now I'd do anything for a taste of that old TF.

There is some hope for future tastes though,

Spelunky HD 13' Actually released to a different market a year back, it was a smash. They plan on bringing this particular vintage to us locally here very shortly. My wife absolutely loves it. Can't get enough of the stuff.

I hope you find my recommendations suitable, sir

=D

Tychion

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
If you are into MOBA's that much, you can try Smite. It's really fun and it's 3rd person, so it adds something new. It's definitely an upcoming game, it has grown a lot of attention and they are big tournaments for it's competitive players now. If you ever try it, you can refer me using the name tychionTV. Hope you try it out :)

thecynicalmonk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I've considered giving Mass Effect another go, the only thing that makes me not want to readopt a game is that I have to play through the storyline that I already know all over again. (This has also kept me from rolling new toons in WoW lol) But I'll give it a shot next time its on sale, starting with ME1 :)

Ive heard alot about The Walking Dead "game". never really gave it much thought. I was really getting into the tv series then something in real life pulled me away and I could never get back into it.

Ahh yes, Skyrim :) I love that game. I forgot to mention it!

I actually considered buying Dishonored today on steam since its like 50% ish off...But the only thing that held me back was the fact that basically once you've played one RPG, you've played them all (In terms of mechanics...and if im wrong about this game, please excuse my ignorance)

And a buddy actually gifted me Rome Total War on steam a few months back, I might give it a go tonight!

I've debated buying the Orange Box for quite a while...maybe I might give it a go. Only reason why I havent is that I already own TF2 and Portal. And it's good to know that I'm not the only one that had a "reaction" to Mass Effect. it really did make me feel like less than a gamer when everyone was raving about its awesome storyline and I could never really connect with the characters.

As far as older titles such as Oblivion and most any games released before 2007, I'm sad to say that due to poor graphics, they really dont interest me. I know...it's such a consumerist thing to say...but the storyline/mechanics is what pulls me into a game...and the graphics is what makes me wanna come back for more! :)

Never said I was really into MOBAs, I find the player base annoying and leetist at times. I mainly play DOTA and LoL when I have absolutely nothing else to do. While I really really enjoy the games mechanics and style of play...I just cant seem to get past the pompous players and steep learning curve. (No offense intended, my experience with this is limited to matches that I have experienced and therefore I am by no means speaking for the game or player base as a whole)

EDIT: Open to anything else on the topic! The content so far is pretty rich and diverse. Lets keep this going :)

Anyone?
______Anyone?...Bueller?
_____________Anyone? =D

TheStillPitt

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I few more suggestions. Give the indies a shot.

Bastion is a wonderful story driven game. The story is almost a separate part of the game told through narration, but it's something absolutely different.

Binding of Isaac is so wonderful. It's graphics may leave something to be desired, but it's random roguelike gamepaly is some of the best out there. It's like playing Link to the Past with random levels and no overworld.