No light on motherboard; can't turn on the computer

My computer doesn't turn on.

For a couple of weeks now, I would have to wait a minute or two for the light on my motherboard to be on so I know when I'm able turn on my computer.

Today the light hasn't gone on even after a long while.

All my cables should be plugged in correctly, I had the computer for two years now.

Does anyone know why this happens?
7 answers Last reply
More about light motherboard turn computer
  1. Intuition tells me your PSU may be failing. One sure way to test this is to borrow a working power supply from another computer or a friend, and see whether the light comes on; it should if your components are working.

    Curious, what's the power supply make in question?
  2. theclouds said:
    Intuition tells me your PSU may be failing. One sure way to test this is to borrow a working power supply from another computer or a friend, and see whether the light comes on; it should if your components are working.

    Curious, what's the power supply make in question?


    Corsair ax750
  3. AT most your psu is nearly 3 years old (EDIT). Unless your system drew a lot of power in the past (no way 750w worth), abused it, power cycled frequently, it's hard to believe it could fail so soon.

    Still try to hook up another working PSU to rule out the motherboard - really doubt it's the board.

    98% certain your PSU is the problem. Another way to confirm, is to use the suspect PSU on another system. Just do a POST if you have another RAM and motherboard.

    Good luck.
  4. theclouds said:
    AT most your psu is nearly 3 years old (EDIT). Unless your system drew a lot of power in the past (no way 750w worth), abused it, power cycled frequently, it's hard to believe it could fail so soon.

    Still try to hook up another working PSU to rule out the motherboard - really doubt it's the board.

    98% certain your PSU is the problem. Another way to confirm, is to use the suspect PSU on another system. Just do a POST if you have another RAM and motherboard.

    Good luck.


    I don't have another computer at home. Everyone else's uses laptops. Can't really afford to buy a new PSU just to see if my current one is failing.
  5. bawss said:
    theclouds said:
    AT most your psu is nearly 3 years old (EDIT). Unless your system drew a lot of power in the past (no way 750w worth), abused it, power cycled frequently, it's hard to believe it could fail so soon.

    Still try to hook up another working PSU to rule out the motherboard - really doubt it's the board.

    98% certain your PSU is the problem. Another way to confirm, is to use the suspect PSU on another system. Just do a POST if you have another RAM and motherboard.

    Good luck.


    I don't have another computer at home. Everyone else's uses laptops. Can't really afford to buy a new PSU just to see if my current one is failing.


    I understand. Too bad you aren't local, otherwise I won't mind lending you one of mine...heck, I'll even give it to you.

    Okay at this point if money is a constraint your options are limited as some hardware is a fault and must be replaced. I mentioned I suspect the power supply, but from your perspective it makes no sense to take a blind leap of faith based on my opinion alone. Good news, PSU is cheaper to replace than a motherboard...depending on how high-end you go. If you have a local vendor with a generous return policy you could test it easily, but be ethical make sure you buy something else you need and won't be returning so the vendor sees some profit. Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

    BUMP so someone will hopefully offer second opinion
  6. Well today I had to wait around 4-5 hours of turning the PSU on and off and switching power cables.
    I reckon if I just turn off my computer but leave my power point on there shouldn't be a problem.
  7. One of the computer stores I went to, the guy had a little doohickey that he just pressed into the end of one of the outgoing cables from the PSU after it had been plugged into the wall, and the thing would do a constant, solid beep if it was receiving a constant, stable supply of juice. Maybe you can take your PSU to a computer tech store and ask if they have a way to quickly and easily test to see if your PSU is dead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Light Computers Systems Motherboards