Should I return my LG 1080p monitor for one of these Korean 2560x1440 monitors?

TyTonusBurman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Hey everyone,

I got a 1080p monitor as a gift, but my just-newly-bought 7950 graphics card can output 2560x1600, or x1440, so I'm wondering if I should return it and upgrade.

However, i only have the money to afford a screen of similar price. So, ive found a half-dozen of these monitors from Korea that are getting fantastic reviews, and I'm just a bit skeptical over which one to get, as they all look so similar.

Here's a website that has collected most of them to one spot:

http://www.2560x1440monitor.com/index.php?route=common/home

Also, heres a link to the one that's not on there, but seems to be getting the most press:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED-2560X1440-WQHD-DVI-D-Dual-Computer-Monitor-/140738200221

Any help would be appreciated, i really don't know what to do, or if It's even worth upgradign the resolution. (I would still use 1080p for games, to get better framerates. I would probably only use 2560 for computing)

Thanks.

idkwho

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Looks like a great deal. You could go for it as it seems to have great reviews. As for the resolution it would be nice to have the extra pixels even though you will still use it for 1080p gaming.

john987

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
They are good monitors but it's a luck of the draw type of thing. You can get a perfect monitor that was in a batch of monitors that failed quality control or you can get one of the tested panels that failed and has backlight bleed. Backlight bleeding seems to be the main problem with them. A few dead pixels won't be noticeable. Also don't get the tempered glass ones since people complain that there is dust trapped between the glass.

I got an Auria 2560x1440 from Microcenter. Very similar to the Korean monitors but has more inputs. It operates at 60 Hz and I definitey recommend it. If you can afford if you should keep the second monitor though. The scaling seems to be terrible with this monitor. You know how when you launch a game the first time it is always some weird resolution? Well with my monitor that results in a black screen. It would be impossible to get out of it without the second monitor.

If you do get one you will want to add "-window" to launch options for all your games when you launch it the first time. This will prevent it from launching to a black screen. Then you can go into options and change it to fullscreen and set the corrent resolution.

I'l just quote the monitor guide linked in my sig.

Korean 1440p IPS monitors, on the cheap

Currently on the market there are a range of IPS 1440p screens, typically starting at ~$600 and going upward depending on physical size, build quality, brand, exact type of IPS panel being used, etc from your typical retailers.
However, as of the time of writing, there is an alternative to these mainstream options. Various Korean manufacturers (QNIX, Yamakasi, CROSSOVER) and re-sellers are offering IPS panel 1440p monitors quite cheaply through Ebay, for example a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE (not the monitor mentioned in the "Overclocking section") 1440p IPS monitor can be had for about $350-400.

The majority of these panels are rejected Apple stock, they were originally intended to be used in Apple iMac's or Apple Cinema displays but were for one reason or another ended up not being up to par with Apple standards. These leftover panels are sold to the various manufacturers who create the monitors that are available on Ebay now.
The panels are A- grade, meaning they are more likely to have dead pixels and other defects than the A+ grade panels that make their way into Apple displays. Resellers of these monitors often offer a "Pixel Perfect" option, where for $30-40 more you can be guaranteed a monitor without any dead pixels.

Like John987 said, its a luck of the draw type thing. You could receive a perfect monitor, or one that has dead-pixels. If your concerned, I suggest you go for a Perfect-Pixel option.
Far as I know, Backlight Bleeding is a manufacturing issue and is due to how the panel is mounted inside the monitor. If its mounted incorrectly or is knocked around, light gets where it shouldnt and "bleeds" into the monitor. The panels themselves arent the cause.

john987

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
The pixel perfect option isn't worth it. They just refund you a few dollars for each dead pixel. Just buy one that has the best defect guarantee, I've seen some that say 3 dead pixels in total is defective while the majority say 5 is defective.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I just recently bought a QNIX QX2710 EVO II from ebay seller Green_Sum. The seller had a sale for a pixel perfect matte screen for $309.90. It shipped from south Korea on Sunday and arrived at my door Wednesday morning, incredibly fast.

The monitor itself is amazing, no dead pixels, barely any light bleeding, in fact my 1080P ASUS has more bleeding than my QNIX. Considering that few people are being sent defective monitors I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to purchase one. Obviously there is risk, however the risk doesn't seem to be any greater than if you bought a defective monitor from best buy or newegg. Also mine OC'd to 120Hz like it was nothing.

Still if you are nervous about it amazon sells a comparable monitor called Nexius for around $450 usd