Upgrading a Radeon HD 5750: Radeon HD 7870 vs nVidia GTX 660 Ti

tannhauser

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hello!

I am in the process of upgrading my graphics card (Radeon HD 5750 1Gb) and have some questions that I am hoping you guys can answer. First, here are my specs/info (from the template):

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month.
BUDGET RANGE: USD $400 (but I live abroad).
USAGE: Gaming (e.g. Skyrim, FFXIV and the like).
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1Gb and Cooler Master GX 650W.
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Motherboard X58A-UD3R. Processor i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz (OC'd to 3.5 GHz). Memory 6 Gb RAM.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

I've narrowed it down to two different cards, either the Radeon HD 7870 2Gb or the nVidia GTX 660 Ti. I'm not nitpicky about brands so either one would be fine I think.

The basic questions I have are the following:

1. Are those two chosen cards a "good" upgrade for my current card? I know this is a subjective question but, seeing as to how I can't afford the more expensive cards, I am hoping either of these will be useful for at least a couple of years.

2. Can my computer fit/use either of these cards? I am assuming the motherboard and the power supply are good enough to run them?

3. I plan on changing the card myself and, while I have a basic understanding of how to do it, I don't want to screw things up. So... are there any guides you guys can recommend on how to properly upgrade your graphics card (i.e. step-by-step guide)?

Thank you in advance so much for any feedback!

F

Just put yuor money in an gtx 770 and u ll have a great performance upgrade

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

The two cards you chose would be far behind this card

U just need to install the graphics card

1 thing i m gonna tell u which is very imp
YOUR MOBO IS HAVIN PCI-E 2.0 AND GTX 770 IS A PCI E 3.0 CARD (the rest two are also 3.0)
but it is GTX 770 IS COMPATIBLE TO TO PCI-E 2.0
It will cause a 5-10% performance downgrade of effective memory from 7000mhz to 5000mhz

It is beacause pci-e 2.0 has a maximum of 5000mhz memory transfer rate

On the whole it would be a huge performance upgrade from 5750 to gtx 770

Dont forget to close the post by selecting best answer

We all appreciate it