i have a question about a cpu upgrade

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
heres my question if i upgrade from an athlon 64 X2 5800+ 3.0GHz dual core cpu to an AMD Phenom X4 9850B processor (2.5 GHz, 2 MB Dedicated L2 cache, 2 MB Shared L3 cache, HT bus 3.0) will that help me gaming wise the game im trying to play require a minimum 2.6GHz athlon 64 X2 dual core cpu im new to multi core cpu's so if i upgrade from a 3.0 dual core to a 2.6 dual core how will that affect my games in terms of frame rate and speed

apower101

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
you're upgrading a dated cpu to another dated cpu. Don't do that. Buy at least, an i3 with an hzz/z77 mobo, so you have the option to run an i5/i7 later on. That way you will have expanded your upgrading potential exponentially, and you won't have a half bad system. Also, games are more gpu intensive, and since you're running that system, it's a safe bet to say you aren't running a good gpu. You might want to look into that. However, now isn't a good time to upgrade your system, as prices are high, and a new gpu generation is just about to arrive. Also, haswell core i3's (the latest ones) are coming in september. If you can wait a couple of months, I would do that. Otherwise give me a budget and I can help you.

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
thoes upgrade options wont work i cant afford more then 100 dollars orth of parts im low income and i dont work im disabled so i have limited monthly income 100$ is the max i can spend till next year

thanks for trying tho

Dont forget to close the post by selecting best solution
We all would appreciate it
[/quotemsg]

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
i updated the bios but the bios release notes are hush hush on the supported processors and the motherboard is from hp its a 3029h mobo thats whats i got from cpuz i have thus far tried 4 different programs to try to find out what socket type i have and non of them will tell me and i look at 2 different manuals for my dc5850 small form factor pc and one says socket am2+ the other says socket am2

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
ok not trying to seem or be rude but i cant wait for a better pc i need to upgrade now i use this pc for school and gaming and i cant wait i need a cpu upgrade asap

Ohkay then go with the upgrade u first told
And thenone u r buying is quad core an the one u have is a dual core so a clock drop would not matter
U will surely get a performance boost

Dont forget to close the post by selecting the best solution

apower101

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Your cpu is socket am2, It can only fit that socket. The cpu I posted is the best you can get for that socket. You will see a big performance difference, but it is still a dated cpu.

apower101

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
ANd it depends on how strong the cores are. Since the phenoms are similar strength cores, albeit slightly differeng clock speeds, the quad core will be much better than your dual core, especially in multitasking and general pc usage.