Middle of the road gaming build...

enemywithbenefits

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1hK5y

To answer the questions...

Approximate purchase date: I would like to buy this at some point in the next 2-3 weeks. My computer is approaching 5 years old, and I'd like to buy something new. I could probably hold out until the end of the year (or black Friday) if anyone here sees a reason for doing so.

Budget Range: My budget would be somewhere around $1,200.

Part Preference: Anything good.

SLI: No

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

Overclocking: I don't plan to overclock (I would like to, but I'm a pansy).

Why I am upgrading: My computer is almost 5 years old. There are a few things coming out such as DayZ standalone that I would like to play, but wouldn't be able to on my current Core 2 Duo.

Additional Comments: I'm not much of a hardware guy; I'm a software guy, and don't follow hardware like you folks. The first time I looked for help, I built a computer that lasted me for 5 years, so now I try it again. I'm on a tight budget, so please keep that in mind.

Also, the reason I put in the 3770k instead of the 3770 was because with the case combo on NewEgg it saved me more than what the 3770 would've cost.

When I built this computer it was on a socket 775 board. Getting the stock fan on was like playing a big game of whack-a-mole to the point where I felt like I was going to warp the board. Has the stock cooler gotten any easier to put on or should I just go with something aftermarket?

Thanks for any advice.

enemywithbenefits

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I am very light on gaming. I play League of Legends at the moment, but that's about it. There are a couple of interesting things coming out (DayZ standalone) that I'd like to play though (perhaps even stream at some point). I also do currency trading (this would only require multiple monitors) and some video editing as well.