msi z87 gd65 or g45 for sli build

planning on getting the msi gd-65 or g-45 mobo.
I'm planning on doing sli with my 660's
The gd-65 looks like it has better pci slots, theyre all 16x
the g45 has 16x but if you add a second card, the second card will work at 8x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130687
look at the pci info
I want to get the best performance out of my SLI build.
11 answers Last reply
More about msi z87 gd65 g45 sli build
  1. You can't go with a 1155 board if you have a haswell cpu, you need a 1150 board
    Same applies with the ivy bridge cpu. You can't go with a 1150 board, you need 1155.
  2. Z87 gd 45 is bttr but get the z87 not the z77 u added
    Both are same in terms of sli so why spent more


    Dont frget to close the post
  3. IMetJesus said:
    You can't go with a 1155 board if you have a haswell cpu, you need a 1150 board
    Same applies with the ivy bridge cpu. You can't go with a 1150 board, you need 1155.


    Dude, they're both z87 boards...
  4. IMetJesus said:
    You can't go with a 1155 board if you have a haswell cpu, you need a 1150 board
    Same applies with the ivy bridge cpu. You can't go with a 1150 board, you need 1155.


    Yeah sorry. I just noticed the second one was a z77
  5. Just chck the second link u added it will open toz77 brd
  6. Yeah n get g45 board its not wrth spendin that xtra money
  7. eden2012 said:
    IMetJesus said:
    You can't go with a 1155 board if you have a haswell cpu, you need a 1150 board
    Same applies with the ivy bridge cpu. You can't go with a 1150 board, you need 1155.


    Yeah sorry. I just noticed the second one was a z77


    NP
  8. Sn1992-1361850 said:
    Yeah n get g45 board its not wrth spendin that xtra money




    If i do SLI though... I heard when you add the first card in the g45 pci slot in downgrades the second to a slower speed. In the gd65 theyre all the same speed with 2 graphics cards installed.
  9. eden2012 said:
    Sn1992-1361850 said:
    Yeah n get g45 board its not wrth spendin that xtra money




    If i do SLI though... I heard when you add the first card in the g45 pci slot in downgrades the second to a slower speed. In the gd65 theyre all the same speed with 2 graphics cards installed.


    Read this:

    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1094573/does-a-pcie-8x-make-a-difference-over-16x
    It's an older thread but i think the same applies on today's mbos
  10. Sn1992-1361850 said:
    Z87 gd 45 is bttr but get the z87 not the z77 u added
    Both are same in terms of sli so why spent more


    Dont frget to close the post


    IMetJesus said:
    eden2012 said:
    Sn1992-1361850 said:
    Yeah n get g45 board its not wrth spendin that xtra money




    If i do SLI though... I heard when you add the first card in the g45 pci slot in downgrades the second to a slower speed. In the gd65 theyre all the same speed with 2 graphics cards installed.


    Read this:

    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1094573/does-a-pcie-8x-make-a-difference-over-16x
    It's an older thread but i think the same applies on today's mbos


    Yeah, i dont want to take any performance hit..they said up to 10 percent..thats a lot.
  11. IMetJesus said:
    eden2012 said:
    Sn1992-1361850 said:
    Yeah n get g45 board its not wrth spendin that xtra money




    If i do SLI though... I heard when you add the first card in the g45 pci slot in downgrades the second to a slower speed. In the gd65 theyre all the same speed with 2 graphics cards installed.


    Read this:

    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1094573/does-a-pcie-8x-make-a-difference-over-16x
    It's an older thread but i think the same applies on today's mbos



    The older threads dont apply anymore :/ thats when pci 3.0 was not out and the differences between 8x 3.0 and 16x 3.0 is different between them in 2.0
Ask a new question

Read More

PCI SLI Motherboards Build MSI-Microstar