Sign in with
Your question

$600 Budget Fry's Audio/Video work desktop New Build

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2013 11:21:24 PM

I am having a hard time building a budget 600 dollar audio/video editing desktop. You would think skimping out on the gpu an reusing a few components would make this process easier lol

A couple of guidelines are:
- The components have to bought from Fry's Electronics because I have a $500 store credit gift recipe.
They internet price match so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
- I am reusing my Antec P90 case but I don't have a PSU. So I'll need a one.
- I have a Window's base OS....if you know what I mean ; )
- Keyboard, mouse, an monitors are already purchase. So are speakers.
- I would like Bluray player and a really good burner for DVD's an the such.
_ _ _ _ _
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as uh we (?) can.

Budget Range: $600. Before rebates. After tax and shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: It is supposed to be used for audio recording (making music) and web browsing. A work computer. Video editing perhaps. No gaming necessary.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Fry's Electronics. A must.

Parts Preferences: Best bang for the buck, so any I guess. On board graphics.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Not sure. Irrelevant?

Additional Comments: Problems that I am having are:

Should I invest in a SSD? I have an external tera drives and I'll constantly be backing stuff up. So a USB 3.0 is a must. Maybe a Firewire? A multie system connectivity would be useful (Macs). But I won't need a large disk space for the SSD since storage will be on external.

I will be content with on-board-graphic, but the option to upgrade at a later date would be wise. I know I'll need a fair GPU for video editing/rendering but it is not a necessity at this moment. Rather put my money into a better cpu and/or better general components.

Choosing a Motherboard is driving me crazy. I won't be overclocking. I don't wish to pay for that feature. But I would like bluetooth, hdmi, etc..

Do I need a BTX PSU or ATX for my Antec P90 case?! An which pin connector will I use.

I am willing to spend more.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: This is actually for a friend, he requested that I build it for him. Buuuuut I'll bum it off to the forum lol
I do have a list components and multiple builds, however, i rather compare afterwards. An I've never built a Auido/Video work desktop. From the research I've done on the internet/google is that most system are in general just like a gaming machine. I feel unease because I have a nagging feeling that I am missing a prime component for this type of build.

I very much appreciate your assistance! =)
July 18, 2013 5:34:39 PM

I can't know inventories, and I don't have the time to check. So I'll give general instructions, and you must decide for yourself

Buy NVidia cards. The GTX 660 is on a sale spree due to inventory stuff all around.
PSU, buy the cheapest 80+ gold. Why? 'cause anything gold has to be of good quality.
Buy whatever motherboard is in a good bundle savings pack. Look for HXX, or ZXX series.
Buy Intel Ivy Bridge. price drops should be sweet.

Maybe check this out in the end,

Folding@Home is a "distributed computing" project. It lets users "donate" their unused computing power to help disease research in critical areas such as Cancer and Alzheimer's. Do the world, the future, and maybe you yourself some good by at least checking it out. Link here. http://folding.stanford.edu/

Moral things aside. Many performance enthusiasts love to compare how well their PC is by showing their points tally for folding. Tom's Hardware has its own team right here! Come in and comment! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-ho...
!