3 Beeps with New Ram

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have a p45ts that supports both ddr2 and ddr3. I had 2Gb of PNY ddr2 that has been working fine, i bought 8GB of 1600mhz hyper-x kingston ddr3, but it just gives me 3 beeps and nothing on screen when i power on. I cant get to the bios.

The board supports 1333mhz ddr3 but i thought it should just run it at 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz. Putting the old ram back in it works fine again, ive tried clearing the cmos but i get the same, and the same with each ram stick individually.

The 3 beeps mean memory problem but does it mean the ram is faulty, or not compatible?

Help!!

Could be bad RAM, could not be supported. With some motherboards, they don't have issues running faster RAM, but not all can do that well. Try a BIOS update before you install the new RAM. Is it on 8gb stick? If not, try one stick at a time.

If none of that works, get the slower RAM.

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Its 2 4Gb sticks, i have tried individually and it still gives 3 beeps, the bios is already the latest ver1.7.

It seems unlikely that both sticks would be bad, so im guessing the mobo just doesnt like the ram, i just didnt think it would give 3 beeps unless it thought the ram was faulty, i was expecting just a blank screen or a post and then crash or something.

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Just an idea, the cpu (E6600) has a rated fsb of 1066mhz, but i was overclocking and set the fsb jumper to 1333mhz so my ram wasnt running too fast whilst overclocking the cpu.

Although i cleared the cmos, the fsb jumper is still on the 1333mhz setting, could this be interfering and making the ram run too slow/fast causing the 3 beeps. How does the auto setting in bios for the ram speed decide what to run at?, and would that cause 3 beeps or would it still post and then crash if its outside of a stable range?

Set everything to stock settings and see how thins run. The auto settings check the speed of the RAM from the sticks, they have info in them the motherboard can read. It will not run faster than the motherboard speeds

iskra

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
You can't mix DDR2 with DDR3 RAM if that it's what you are trying to do. Clean RAM sockets. Try to seat modules perfectly.

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Yeah im not trying to use ddr2 and ddr3 at the same time, just wondering if the mobo isnt auto-detecting the speed properly. Looks like i will have to returnthe ram and get a different brand and see if it works then.