Advice and improvements in this Gaming PC

Thotheg

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I'd like to buy a Gaming PC, after some research I build this, but I'd like some advice/improvements about it because I don't know if all this parts are compatible and enough for gaming in high settings.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770S 3.1Ghz Socket 1150
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 412S CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: G.Skill TridentX DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 16GB 2x8GB CL7
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro SSD Series 128GB SATA3 Basic Kit
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 4GB GDDR5
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply: Corsair AX860 860W 80 Plus Platinum
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Grabadora DVD/Blu-Ray OEM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Depends how much you pay I guess. PCpricepicker is a good tool to use to find awesome prices. Now here goes my poking.

4770S. Why the S model? Go for vanilla for cheaper and same performance, actually better. Go for K model for overclocking. You cannot overclock on other models. Overclocking is fun if you have time. If not, buy the cheapest of all. I say this because the K model is cheaper than vanilla at weird sale times.

Why i7? If you run highly threaded apps, fine. If you don't know what highly threaded is, chances are, you don't need it, and you are paying $100 extra for nothing. If you do heavy multimedia editing, that is highly threaded.

Why hyper 412? Go with the Hyper 212. More popular. better support, and experience from others.

Why such an advanced mobo? This is for serious overclockers, and serious serious modders.

Why Trident X? So expensive. Go with something cheaper.

Why 840 pro? Super overkill, unless you are a video editor. Go with Plextor M5S.

Barracuda is good.

Why GTX 680? GTX770 is better yet cheaper, and newer.

Why that case? Go with the cheapest one with good reviews with the look you like and the bays you want.

Why the AX power supply? Super overkill. I recommend the HX series unless you plan on super overclocks.

Why 860 watts? 650/750 should be good for you.

Anyway, this should be a monster rig. Do the world some good and check this out.

Folding@Home is a "distributed computing" project. It lets users "donate" their unused computing power to help disease research in critical areas such as Cancer and Alzheimer's. Do the world, the future, and maybe you yourself some good by at least checking it out. Link here. http://folding.stanford.edu/

Moral things aside. Many performance enthusiasts love to compare how well their PC is by showing their points tally for folding. Tom's Hardware has its own team right here! Come in and comment! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-home-thgc-team-40051/page-173.html

ShindoSensei

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I agree with JPNpower about the cpu and GPU. the 4770k is pretty much in the same price category and still maintains good OC potential. The 770 would also be the better option, as it costs about the same and gives better performance. Also why not consider getting an SSD as a boot drive and to put some games on?

Thotheg

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.

mourice12

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Looks good i agree with the 4770k and GTX 770. As for an SSD i recommend the Samsung 840. Its extremely fast and has that Samsung quality to it. The HX PSU from corsair is a really good gold rated PSU. For a motherboard i suggest the MSI Z87 GD65 gaming its cheaper than an ROG board has ALOT of great features and has the lowest RMA rates out of any major manufacturer IE, ASUS, ASrock, Gigabyte.
For a cooler id get the 212 eve, ive had one and enjoyed it. Or go for a h80 or h100.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Considering Samsung's claim to fame was selling TVs of inferior quality to Japanese brands but for lower prices,

And that Plextor's claim to fame was their near perfect Optical drives, and bulletproof testing of SSDs to even enterprise levels,

I'd trust Plextor any day.

mourice12

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Not saying anything is wrong with Plextor just going from personal experience and the fact that Samsung is one of the largest producers of Nand flash memory.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Size is not a measure of quality.

OCZ is one of the largest makers of SSDs. They are known for lower quality.

I'm just saying that Plextor is probably one of the very best in terms of quality.