Alienware M17x-R4 Crashed During Attempted Factory Image Restore. Now Stuck in Error Loop and Will Not Boot.

JamesWD

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I recently purchased an Alienware M17x-R4 laptop from an individual. I wanted to clear all of his old data from the machine so I initiated the built in software to return the hard drive to the factory image. There was some kind of error during the Windows reinstallation and now the software is stuck in some kind of error loop. The computer will not even boot and just restart in a loop. I contacted Dell customer service but was told I have to transfer the ownership information from the previous owner to my name before they will help me out. The transfer could take up to two weeks and I really can't wait that long. Does anyone have some insight into what I can do? I can provide more information if needed.

Get a regular restore disk and try that, alhtough unles s you have an OEM version of Winows 7 around, you will need to get the disk from Dell, which you already had an issue with. You can actually download the Dell OEM Windows 7 ISO disks and create your own setup, and use the OS key on the laptop with it. What verson of Windows 7 is the code on the laptop for?

Although it's odd that it won't even boot to the menu where you can restore the system, could be a hard drive issue in this case.

shankc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I have a Alienware M17 r4 and I'm a member of alienwarearena.com which is an Alienware forum. The person who you got the laptop from should also have the discs as the Alienware windows disc is different to a normal windows 7 or dell OEM disc as a few members of the Alienware forum who have lost the disc and tried to install with a non alienware disc and ended up having the same problem your having now. If he hasn't got the Alienware discs he may of created an image on a pen drive or on disc made with Alienrespawn its Alienware's own backup media and if he or she hasn't any of mentioned above and will not contact Alienware to get the disc then you want to head over to the Alienware forum and you should be able to get an iso of the Alienware disc.Hope you get things sorted soon as you will have an awesome gaming machine

JamesWD

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Thank you for your reply. I already have the Alienware disc that came with the machine. It is the one I used during my initial attempt to factory image restore.

shankc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
If you have the disc just do a fresh install you can either go dell site or alienwarearena.com go onto the forum and their is a step by step guide for installation which order to load drivers etc. If you still have problems it could well be the Harddrive. I followed the guide at alienwarearena.com when I installed a solid state drive it was easy to follow and if you have any problems their is always someone to help when you buy an Alienware your joining a club and their are people like myself that will walk you threw or point you in the right direction like to a utube video that will show you a step by step guide. You could try pressing F12 when starting laptop and run a full diagnostic to check the Harddrive and if it is and still under warranty dell will come out replace and install everything for it as your transfer of ownership only takes 2 weeks. But just try a fresh install it may seem a big task but on either site you will get the help if you need it or message me and I will go threw it with you. Hope this helps let me no how you get on hope things go well and welcome to the club