Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a modular PSU?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
July 18, 2013 6:09:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally building my first ever gaming rig for my birthday this year as Ive been a console groupie for most of my life.

Ill be running an Intel I-5 3570k 3.4ghz CPU on an ASRock Z77 1155 board with 8gb of Ballistix DDR3-1600 memory, an EVGA GTX 760 2Gb GPU and a Corsair TX650W 80+ Bronze PSU.

I will also be running my entire rig through my 37" LCD TV as I cant quite afford a monitor just yet.

So my question is two fold; 1. First and foremost, do I need a modular PSU? (My mate has stressed that modular is a necessity but my Dad has not, both have custom builds). and 2. will a Corsair TX 650W be man enough for my rig. Pc part picker reckons my build will probably pull about 310w but I dont want to be caught short further down the line.

Is the Corsair TX650 a good psu for the money?

Cheers in advance for your time and help.

More about : modular psu

July 18, 2013 7:21:29 PM

I don't know which Asrock Z77 board you have, but if it has x8, x8 or x16, x16 PCIe x16 slots, you may want to add a second card someday. If so, then a 750W or greater PSU would be advisable. If not, the Corsiar 650W is a very good PSU and more than sufficient for the system. No, you don't NEED a modular PSU. As long as you have room to stash all the unused cables out of the way so they don't block airflow, you will be fine. But modular makes for a neater build if you don't need all the cables.
July 19, 2013 7:22:47 AM

clutchc said:
I don't know which Asrock Z77 board you have, but if it has x8, x8 or x16, x16 PCIe x16 slots, you may want to add a second card someday. If so, then a 750W or greater PSU would be advisable. If not, the Corsiar 650W is a very good PSU and more than sufficient for the system. No, you don't NEED a modular PSU. As long as you have room to stash all the unused cables out of the way so they don't block airflow, you will be fine. But modular makes for a neater build if you don't need all the cables.

Hey thanks for your reply mate.

My motherboard is this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like there is room for another gpu at some point in the future. Im not sure how far into the future id be looking to sli my graphics but i think for now, for my budget ill stick with the 650, unless i can get the 750w at a discount from somewhere - if you see one let me know.

Thanks again for your reply. Really helped me with the decision and cleared the confusion over modular vs non modular.

Related resources
July 19, 2013 10:08:10 AM

Yeah, that board is capable of x8, x8 dual cards. So, it would be beneficial as opposed to x16, x4. But the 650W PSU will handle any single card you install.
July 19, 2013 10:41:32 PM

clutchc said:
Yeah, that board is capable of x8, x8 dual cards. So, it would be beneficial as opposed to x16, x4. But the 650W PSU will handle any single card you install.

I went for the Corsair tx750m in the end as I got a great deal for it through Newegg.com

Thanks again for your help

!