Need Help with Buying New Graphics Card

jc05442

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Alright so I really need some help here. I thought I knew a little about computers until I started trying to find a graphics card for my computer. I play a lot of online games and until now my computer has worked decently, I can run most online games such as Wow, runescape, stuff like that. I started playing Guild wars 2 and really I feel like my graphics card needs an update. So, any help would be very grateful. I saw this application and figured this was the best way to show ya'll what I got.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: probably around 2009 I think(it was given to me) BUDGET RANGE: I would prefer to stay as low as possible but could go up to 100$. If it would really be worth it I might could go higher but just want to get something that I can have decent graphics and play on.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Online gaming specifically Guild Wars 2. I don't really watch many movies and play other games other than some different online games now and then. And I watch youtube that's about it lol.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430. I don't know how to get the power supply I have if someone could tell me I'll post it on here too.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP compaq 6830s, Default BIOS, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4gb of ram but I'm going to go up to at least 6 probably 8gb soon. And I'm running Windows XP professional.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Doesn't matter will probably just buy online or at like a best buy or something.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Use anything that's better and will fit in my laptop.

OVERCLOCKING: Have no idea CROSSFIRE: Have no idea

MONITOR RESOLUTION: It says current display is 1440/900 if thats what your looking for.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to know if I would have to buy anything with the graphics card like accessories to it, etc. If there is anything else I need to let you guys/gals know that would be helpful please let me know. Sorry again for not being so tech savy but hoping for some help! :) Thanks alot. Oh yeah and on a side note if anyone has comments regarding the ram on my computer like if I should get more or 4gb would be enough feel free :)

Also, since I'm running a duo core processor @ 2.0Ghz could anyone tell me if upgrading the graphics card would do any good. I just read the minimum requirements for GW2 is 2.0Ghz so I don't want to invest in a graphics card if my processor still will be crap. Thanks.

This is the best you can get in that price range that would not suck a lot power and still perform good enough. For gaming at 1440x900 i do not recommend anything less than a 7770. It should run games at medium-high at that resolution at 30+ FPS easily. So definitely go for it. You might get even better performance. So this is a must buy for that price. Definitely grab one of them.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $79.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-19 11:34 EDT-0400)

If you think that the answer helped, then don't forget to select it as the best answer. It would be highly appreciated by me.

vampbl

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I think he want to upgrade his laptop, am I right?

vampbl

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, I think you can't update a laptop more than more RAM, I'm not 100% sure but I never have done that XD...

OMG my bad. That's what I get for skimming and not knowing my Compaq models as well as I should...

Laptop = no can upgrade anything. Get a desktop for games or a better laptop.

jc05442

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Alright so can't upgrade my laptop that sucks! lol oh well guess it might be time to invest in a new computer :) Thanks a lot everyone!

LOL!! It is so funny. I did not actually noticed that too. Sorry brother, you cannot upgrade your graphics card of a laptop. You should build a new build all together if you really want to game.

vampbl

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah you should but to be honest, if you are looking for something not very pricy, I've seen some builds that are low end and go around 400 or less. Here you can find some, just take some time to search...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1732304/400-600-gpu-psu-cpu-upgrade-full-build.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1737656/cheap-low-end-casual-gaming-rig.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1736046/build-low-budget-good-gaming.html

Hope this helps!