Upgrading to haswell from a c2d 3gh and all the changes that come with it. Want advice on z87 mobo, psu, graphics and cpu

acidius

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys, let me get straight to the point. Im upgrading directly from a core 2 duo 3.0 ghz which ive been using for ages, but now that its dead i want to upgrade to haswell. I dont have alot of money so im trying to do spend as little as i can and get maximum benefits and chances to keep upgrading in the future. Ill be using my old pc case, graphics card(9800gt), and six hard drives ive added over the years(forgot the details on those sorry). So here is what i have so far. I just want some advice on whether im doing ok so far. Ive researched a bit and this is what i want my pc to have :

Processor:Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor Price=$242
Motherboard:GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H Price=$229
Ramm:Kingston/corsair 8gb

Ok so these are the three things im going to get. Now the questions are:
1) Is it better to use my 9800gt or the processor graphics.
2) Since i have an old standard case i dont think ill be overclocking that much(or at all atm) and it gets pretty hot where i am. Its summer so you ll see temps going up at 26-38 C. I read that liquid cooling is ineffective in warmer climates because it just pumps warm water all over. Is that true?

I know it might seem like im getting expensive parts that i may or may not overclock but i want to be able to use this for the next 6 years which i did with my older build and upgrade things ram, graphics etc as i go on.

Ok so these are the three things im going to get. Now the questions are:
1) Is it better to use my 9800gt or the processor graphics.
2) Since i have an old standard case i dont think ill be overclocking that much(or at all atm) and it gets pretty hot where i am. Its summer so you ll see temps going up at 26-38 C. I read that liquid cooling is ineffective in warmer climates because it just pumps warm water all over. Is that true?

1) No to 9800gt / No to iGPU.
2) No not true.

Bohmeila

Honorable
May 14, 2013
1) If you are not going into gaming or heavy gpu actions like photoshop or video editing, then I think that the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics would be enough for a casual and simple usage. If you are into gaming i wouldn't get Hasewell and would go Ivy Bridge (thees no much difference) and save a bit on mobo as well as cpu (dont get a K cpu if you arent overclocking its a waste of money) and get a better discrete gpu ~AMD RADEON HD 7850/NVIDIA GTX 650 if you have the money.
2) well watercooling is very expensive i would get it and save to get better parts and upgrade to maybe an SSD a new case with air cooling (air cooling IS good) and maybe get a decent discrete gpu. And well it wouldnt help if yo play with your pc outside in the sun with 40*C but in an air conditioned house it would be okay, why not ?

Both are not so good for 6 years IMO. Id get the 2011 X-79 MB and 3820
here is couple MB:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p9x79pro
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gax79up4
That way OP can upgrade the CPU and memory or video cards he need.
here is that CPU 3820
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229
It is really cheap in microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383144/Core_i7_3820_36GHz_LGA_2011_Boxed_Processor
But in two months or so is coming out new 4960 so new versions will come out to 3930k and 3820.

acidius

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks man. Really Helpful! The reason im thinking of getting the 4670k is incase i want to overclock since im trying to build for the long run. I agree that an Ivy bridge and mobo along with a gtx 650 will give me a better performance but im kindof on the fence about it, because in the end its performance vs upgradability. I know building long run rigs is a bit dumb since every year there are going to be changes like ddr4 coming out etc etc. I dunno how to go about it tbh.

Bohmeila

Honorable
May 14, 2013

If you are going on a long-term build, then i would upgrade every year a part. Start with the Hasewell and this mobo its good and get 8gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE Ram (its the best on the market), maybe next year (or when you have money) you can get a good gpu like 7950 as price will drop with new radeon hd 8000 line releasing or if you like nvidia more get a 770/670/660ti. And so on... And well yes getting a K cpu is more future proof. But you still didnt tell me if its for gaming or not :) I hope i can help you :D

P.S. with the Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics in the Hasewell you can play new games on low 1080p/720p depends on game with playable fps, according to this http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/10/intels-hd-4600-graphics-another-review/

acidius

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Hmmm. I agree the that potential to upgrade is pretty insane with those mother boards but do you think its worth it to spend 300 dollars on a mobo that supports sandy bridge rather than a 200-250 dollar mobo that supports Haswell. TBH i dont see myself using 4 way sli or upgrading close to 64 gb ramm. Again performance wise you might be right but dunno :/. Thanks for taking the time out to find me these links. Ill go over them again and see what i should do! Thanks!

acidius

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Well you put my mind at ease friend :p! Im a bit more clear now as to what i should do. Well I want it for pretty much everything, Im studying computer science and im thinking of going towards graphic designing and i pretty much play every game that comes out. Like since i was using a c2d 3ghz for a long time with 2 gb ram and a 9800gt and i could run pretty much all the games on low-normal. Wasnt too fussed about running games on ultra but yknow would be cool if i could :p. Played bio shock infinite and thats when i decided that i might need to upgrade because there was a bit of fps lag i would get at times. And when im not finishing games in two days -.- i usually play league of legends which doesnt require too much. Youre really helpful bro i love youu!

First hasswell do not overclock so well. Ivy was bad for overclocking. Hasswell made it worse.
So maybe better choice is forget the overclocking and make NFOC build if plan is use hasswell.
Ivy Bridge 3770k or 3770 and intel xeon 1230V2 is cheap choice for now.
Still the 2011 X-79 is the best in market now.
but for money effective build xeon 1230V2 is good.
Build like this is really cheap: PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1iiuq
Now remember the CPU is i7 it do have HT and 8 Treads. same cpu is 3770 (only 100MHz faster clock speed)
and 3770 do have that iGPU. what you do not really need :)

acidius

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Ooooo! I get what what your saying man. Ill keep it that in mind! :D

Bohmeila

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Intel Xeon is a server processor and you are building a Personal Computer so no need for it, i would still go for the i5-4670K or the i5-3570K. If you can find the i5 Ivy Bridge on a discount i would get it as the isnt a big difference between Hasewell and Ivy Bridge. I would keep in mind that an SSD would also be a very good future upgrade :) I am glad i could help you :D