1000€ gaming PC - first build advice

Aargh

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: End of this month.
Budget Range: 900-1000€
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, Photoshop, watching movies
Parts Not Required: Anything not listed below (mouse, keyboard, speakers, OS, monitor)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None. I'll use Beslist.nl and Tweakers Pricewatch to find where I can get stuff cheapest.
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Maybe later
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later (probably not)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 for now, considering an upgrade later this year
Additional Comments:
I've decided to build my own gaming PC for the first time, so I've been looking up a lot of stuff and asking for advice, but it seems I get different advice from everyone I ask. Taking into accound the things I've been told and have read, I've come up with the following list:

uh4P5ts.png

The prices listed are approximations, rounded up.

I have three questions:

■ For the parts that have multiple entries listed, which should I choose?
    ■ I don't know anything about motherboards? What's a good choice for a build like this?
    ■ Do you have any other suggestions/criticism for this list?

tom_taylor97

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013

I think that option 2 would be your best choice, for motherboard just make sure you have the right socket and then choose a well known brand and you shouldn't go wrong. Brands like Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI are good choices but just look at reviews of the product before you buy it for the best help.

Aargh

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

This might be a stupid question, but how do I know what is the right socket? Like I said this is my first build and I don't know anything about motherboards?

Lezli

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
On your motherboard, it will list things like "1x PCI-e x16", so you write that down, then go look at your other parts (like your video card in this case) and check it's interface type, and if it says "PCI-e x16", huzzah!
Same with RAM, check your motherboard's listed RAM and it will say something like 'Memory Slots: 4x240 pin', and the speed 'Memory Type: DDR3-1600', which means four slots for 240 pin RAM, then you check your RAM to make sure it's 240 Pin, and DDR3-1600 speed, etc. etc. etc.
It can be kind of overwhelming, but once you start looking back and fourth, you start to recognize things. :D

tom_taylor97

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013

When looking for a CPU or motherboard there will normally be almost a code that determines the compatibility of different components.For example i think that the AMD FX 8350 i think it is the chipset AM3+ but am not entirely sure so check and i also think that the intel 4670K has the chipset LGA1150 but again i am not sure so please check. The motherboard just has to have the same chipset. I used a website called scan.co.uk because i am english and found it very helpful because you can search for cpu and motherboard by chipset. I recommend trying this site and if you donot buy from it then you can search for the products by product name from the site that you do wish to purchase from.
I hope this helped you.