Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia or AMD gpu's for next gen gaming (keeping consoles in mind)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Nvidia or AMD gpu's for next gen gaming (keeping consoles in mind)

Total: 13 votes

• Nvidia
  • 85 %
  • AMD
  • 16 %
July 19, 2013 8:17:51 AM

What the title says.
Just want opinions.
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 8:42:27 AM

"Keeping consoles in mind". Well we know what your opinion is :-P Honestly there's no way nVIDIA are gonna get into a situation where their drivers are lacking optimisation and can't keep up. Say what you will about nVIDIA but they have highly tactical, strategic and ruthless business strategy and when they turned down the opportunity to handle PS4 and Xbox One's graphics, they knew exactly what they were doing.
July 19, 2013 8:51:15 AM

sam_p_lay said:
"Keeping consoles in mind". Well we know what your opinion is :-P Honestly there's no way nVIDIA are gonna get into a situation where their drivers are lacking optimisation and can't keep up. Say what you will about nVIDIA but they have highly tactical, strategic and ruthless business strategy and when they turned down the opportunity to handle PS4 and Xbox One's graphics, they knew exactly what they were doing.

I actually voted for Nvidia. :p  I have a gtx 770.
I was just curious on other peoples thoughts.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 8:57:30 AM

Well I have a feeling the bit in brackets will steer a lot of votes into the AMD option... probably would anyway, lots of people talking about the implications of the console ports. I'm with you though - the new consoles aren't gonna help nVIDIA's position, but they won't hurt it either. I expect little impact either way.

Gotta keep in mind the developers themselves - they're not gonna develop games so badly optimised that they cut out over 50% of their market. nVIDIA's combination of market share and developer relations teams put them in a pretty secure position for the future. That said, I do think AMD were smart getting into both consoles to supplement their revenue. An nVIDIA monopoly is bad news for everyone (except nVIDIA).

And by the way, if you have a GTX770 then you need to update your signature :-)
July 19, 2013 8:59:18 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Well I have a feeling the bit in brackets will steer a lot of votes into the AMD option... probably would anyway, lots of people talking about the implications of the console ports. I'm with you though - the new consoles aren't gonna help nVIDIA's position, but they won't hurt it either. I expect little impact either way.

Gotta keep in mind the developers themselves - they're not gonna develop games so badly optimised that they cut out over 70% of their market (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey). nVIDIA's combination of market share and developer relations teams put them in a pretty secure position for the future. That said, I do think AMD were smart getting into both consoles to supplement their revenue. An nVIDIA monopoly is bad news for everyone (except nVIDIA).

And by the way, if you have a GTX770 then you need to update your signature :-)

Lol yeah i forgot. Xd
I sold them because of crossfires terrible performance. You can look at my other threads. lol
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 9:01:53 AM

Understandable :-) Will be interesting to see how effective this upcoming driver is! That was actually over 50% nVIDIA vs 30% AMD by the way - the 70% was me looking at Intel vs AMD for processors. Have edited the original post to correct it.
July 19, 2013 9:14:30 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Understandable :-) Will be interesting to see how effective this upcoming driver is! That was actually over 50% nVIDIA vs 30% AMD by the way - the 70% was me looking at Intel vs AMD for processors. Have edited the original post to correct it.

Got about 10 more frames in bf3 with the 326.19 (if those are the drivers your talking about)
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 10:01:46 AM

Ah nice I didn't know about these! I'll update now. I meant the Catalyst fix for Crossfire that makes all AMD's problems go away.
July 19, 2013 10:30:11 AM

I thought those come out at the end of the month?
a b 4 Gaming
a c 153 À AMD
a c 388 Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 10:58:04 AM

Nvidia outsells AMD by nearly 3 to 1. That's all you really need to know for this answer.

A few other items to consider:

1) Console hardware is not exactly the same as video card hardware. Optimizations for consoles are meaningless when it comes to PC performance.
2) There may actually be some concern that AMD has chosen to focus on consoles and neglected their PC gaming operations.
3) Games supposedly optimized for AMD hardware, don't necessarily perform better on AMD video cards.
4) The console business is low profit margin, if any profit at all. Nvidia wanted nothing to do with it for a reason. AMD, is already running in the red, while Nvidia is experiencing record profits. It's hard to imagine that this will translate into a better situation for AMD PC hardware.
5) The reality is that Nvidia is well ahead in terms of technology. Proof exists in the performance of the GK110 and the second-tier GK104 GPUs, and the refinement of the GTX 690 versus the HD7990. The multi-GPU frame latency issue showed us that Nvidia is several years ahead of AMD, who only recently were made aware of the issue by a review site. And then there are those technologies, labeled "gimmicks" by AMD fans, but praised by reviewers: PhysX, FXAA, TXAA, Adaptive VSync, Turbo Boost, Shadowplay, and even Geforce Experience; none of which have a comparative technology on AMD hardware (except maybe FXAA/MLAA).
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 11:53:31 AM

"only recently made aware" yeah... right :-b I'm sure they put on their surprised face when TR talked to them about it :-)
a b 4 Gaming
a c 153 À AMD
a c 388 Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 12:53:45 PM

sam_p_lay said:
"only recently made aware" yeah... right :-b I'm sure they put on their surprised face when TR talked to them about it :-)

That's almost exactly what their reaction was in this article from December 11, 2012.

Quote:
When we first published our rematch between the 7950 and the GTX 660 Ti, we pinged AMD to ask if they could explain the Radeon's struggles in recent games. AMD spokesman Antal Tungler told us that our article had "raised some alarms" internally at the company, and he said they hoped to have some answers for us "before the holiday."
http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7...
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 1:26:25 PM

Haha yeah I remember reading that :-) As if they don't know exactly how their products perform in every possible way. Same goes for nVIDIA of course - SLI wasn't always good (and in some ways still isn't). Didn't stop either company from selling their crappy overpriced dual-GPU cards. If people are willing to pay hundreds for one I guess it's hard to resist selling them!
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 1:37:05 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Didn't stop either company from selling their crappy overpriced dual-GPU cards. If people are willing to pay hundreds for one I guess it's hard to resist selling them!

Absolutely true.

BTW This thread should be erupting into a fanboy war momentarily.

a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 1:46:27 PM

Haha maybe we should stop posting and let it sink down the list. Though somebody will resurrect it in 6 months anyway of course...
July 19, 2013 2:53:20 PM

17seconds said:
Nvidia outsells AMD by nearly 3 to 1. That's all you really need to know for this answer.

A few other items to consider:

1) Console hardware is not exactly the same as video card hardware. Optimizations for consoles are meaningless when it comes to PC performance.
2) There may actually be some concern that AMD has chosen to focus on consoles and neglected their PC gaming operations.
3) Games supposedly optimized for AMD hardware, don't necessarily perform better on AMD video cards.
4) The console business is low profit margin, if any profit at all. Nvidia wanted nothing to do with it for a reason. AMD, is already running in the red, while Nvidia is experiencing record profits. It's hard to imagine that this will translate into a better situation for AMD PC hardware.
5) The reality is that Nvidia is well ahead in terms of technology. Proof exists in the performance of the GK110 and the second-tier GK104 GPUs, and the refinement of the GTX 690 versus the HD7990. The multi-GPU frame latency issue showed us that Nvidia is several years ahead of AMD, who only recently were made aware of the issue by a review site. And then there are those technologies, labeled "gimmicks" by AMD fans, but praised by reviewers: PhysX, FXAA, TXAA, Adaptive VSync, Turbo Boost, Shadowplay, and even Geforce Experience; none of which have a comparative technology on AMD hardware (except maybe FXAA/MLAA).

When i spoke of AMD optimizations, i meant their cpu's. Maybe console ports will run better on multicore cpu's and have better multithreading support. (One reason i'm looking into upgrading to the 2600k).

sam_p_lay said:
Haha maybe we should stop posting and let it sink down the list. Though somebody will resurrect it in 6 months anyway of course...

It hasn't had much time to get enough votes for an accurate verdict. :p 
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 2:56:14 PM

Polls don't work that well on here. You'll never get tonnes of votes on them. Though you'll get more if we keep the thread up at the top :-)
July 19, 2013 3:15:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Polls don't work that well on here. You'll never get tonnes of votes on them. Though you'll get more if we keep the thread up at the top :-)

And i go the solution for that....

NVIDIA IZ SO MUICH BETER THAN AMD!!
a b 4 Gaming
a c 153 À AMD
a c 388 Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 3:21:03 PM

Djentleman said:

When i spoke of AMD optimizations, i meant their cpu's. Maybe console ports will run better on multicore cpu's and have better multithreading support. (One reason i'm looking into upgrading to the 2600k).

Hmmm, why did you title the thread:
"Nvidia or AMD gpu's for next gen gaming"

Just trying to keep the thread alive.
July 19, 2013 3:28:21 PM

17seconds said:
Djentleman said:

Sorry dude, i went off on a tangent on you. XD
I have multiple threads i'm looking at today, and one was on cpus before i looked at this one. :p 
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 3:33:41 PM

I believe threads like this need a "I don't know, I'll wait and see" type of response.
July 19, 2013 3:39:18 PM

17seconds said:
Djentleman said:

I also found out that consoles will run off of the gcn architecture which current amd cards run off of. Thoughts?

bystander said:
I believe threads like this need a "I don't know, I'll wait and see" type of response.

Well we got to keep the thread at the top of the list so it's seen lol
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 4:57:44 PM

Too be quite honest: I hate NVidia's business practices so I prefer AMD.

Not that AMD is a saint by any means but still they seem to play more fair than NV.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
July 19, 2013 5:11:11 PM

Nvidia does things that are annoying, but they work hard to make sure we have a good experience, which are also very good practices you get from Nvidia. AMD's main positive is they don't do proprietary stuff, but that is also hurts their business and they likely don't, because they are just trying to survive and not push for new business. AMD does do some pretty unscrupulous naming on some cards, like the 6990M, which is not a dual graphics card, as you would expect. Or the 5870 to the 6870, being almost the same speed due to making the 6970 the upgrade of the 5870.

Neither are great in terms of integrity at times, but Nvidia does put more work into the little things than AMD does. Like frame pacing for SLI.

Anyways, as far as an answer goes. We really have no idea what the next gen cards will bring and how they'll compare. We don't know how consoles will impact things, if at all. I do not know what I'll choose next gen, though I'm more likely to choose Nvidia due to 3D Vision and past experiences.
!