Laptop fan is messed up somehow. HELP

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So my laptop fan is messed up, as said in the description. It started yesterday. I installed portal 2 again and played it a bit. Then I accidentally turned my computer off. I turned it back on again and made myself comfortable in the seat, which consisted of moving. As I moved, the laptop went with me and made a grinding kind of a sound, and it only happens when the laptop is moving. It is loudest when the laptop is turning on and the fans are going faster. Then it goes to the desktop and the fan slows, but it is still noticeable, but not as much.

I then sent ACER an e-mail about the issue. A guy responded that it would cost $249 US, and I was like "YA FUCKING RIGHT!". I paid $430 for the laptop. Im not paying more than half of that to fix a fan.

My dad thinks that the fans bearing is broken, and that you can buy a new fan for it. Or if you take the motherboard out (the fan is underneath) that he can maybe fix it. I'm just posting this to see if any of you guys knows what could be wring with it. Please help! Tell me whats wrong, how bad it is, how it can be fixed, or if it can't how much it would cost to fix it. If you could give a url for the fan, that'd be great too

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5749z-4861. 15"

Thanks in advance :D

GordimBurgueis

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Probably is the fan. Try to do some researh of the cooler model they use and buy at ebay or amazon.

Try to see in the bios if you can slower the fan or simply turn it off just to see if the noises go away. Doing this will allow you to correctly identify the problem.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I cant change anything on the bios, its locked somehow. its alway been like that. you can only change the boot order and time, thats it. im going to open it up sooner or later to see what exactly is wrong. i appreciate it :D