pc won't boot even after buying a new mobo and the paperclip test

BioWeed

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I have been having problems with my PC randomly restarting the last couple of days. Yesterday after an unexpected shutdown the PC wouldn't turn on again like all the other times and when I pressed the power button the fans (cpu+gpu+chassis) would only spin for a second and then everything would shut off again. (no beeps; no post)

After testing the PSU with the paperclip test I thought the culprit was the motherboard, so I went to the next shop and bought an asus p8z77 lx2 and put it in my case.
After plugging everything in the m/b the PC would start but the monitor was still black and there was still no beep or post, the fans kept spinning though for 5-10 seconds and then the PC would turn off and restart automatically and again there was no signal to the monitor or beep or post but the PC kept running and I could only shut it off by holding the power button for like 5seconds.

And that's the state I am in now, bought a new mobo but still it won't work.
I unplugged everything but the 24pin and the 4pin cpu connector, no ram no gpu no hdd , only psu and the power switch are connected and still no beep.

I really don't know what is wrong since the paperclip test worked and the mobo is new, thogh I'm going to buy a new PSU just in case it really is the culprit.

help is reaaaaaaaaaaally appreciated

mfg Martin

specs

i5 2500k
msi ngtx 560ti twin frozr 2
silverstone 500w psu
asus p8z77 lx2
enhace corsa geil (???) (2x4gb)

Zombiekiller

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

The paperclip test pretty much only tells you that is can turn on. It does not tell you voltage or wattage under load. Buy then return a new PSU after you test it out in place of your current one..

Zombiekiller

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Ok, one potential thing tested. Have you tried turning it on on a table or outside the chassis? Could be a short caused by the case.

BioWeed

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
yes i did try it outside the chassis but the result was the same.
I think it's the CPU that's causing the problem. I think I'm gonna get me an i5 3570k and see if that works.

Zombiekiller

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Keep us posted.

BioWeed

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Yup the i5 3570k works, so it was the CPU. Everything works now and I'm 300€ poorer, oh well at least it works...

Thanks for the help though ;)