Grand Theft Auto 4 low fps

djinfamous

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
It is with my steam copy of Gta 4 im having problems with i understand that it was poorly optimized game ported over to pc but still clearly my pc is able to handle it. i've already tried everything i can installing the 1.0.7 patch didnt help much, but anyways i've seen people with similar rigs running this game maxed out at 60-70 fps. but im getting about 35-40 fps. Any ideas on getting better performance?
Specs:
Intel core i-7 2600k 3.40 gHZ
Msi gtx 660ti power edition
16gb of ddr3 ram
2tb harddrive
lg-bluray drive
corsair 750watt cxm

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Try defragging your hard drive using contig and have you tried the commandline parameters?They are written in the readme file in the game's directory. :)

djinfamous

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Thanks i solved the problem i later found out through monitering the temps and core/memory clock on my gpu that it was being overrun with a sneaky little malware virus calles "svchost.exe" my regular kaspersky security wouldent be able to detect it because it runs on official windows downloads or something like that but it basically mines "bitcoins" of data on your system and constantly strains your gpu's cuda cores making it run at a STAGGERING 98-99% constantly after many days of research i found out about a program called "combofix" which does a deep root kit scan of your system. It is not a very common problem usually as it is a rare configuration of the malware but if anyone else sees their system overloaded when just running idle. Then the link is right here i found it on another forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/