CPU Jumping in Temperature?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I bought a Cool Master 212 Evo to OC my AMD FX-6300, but I'm an idiot and I believe I messed up quite a few things. First, I didn't have any alcohol, but a friend told me that since I just built this thing (and thus put on the thermal paste) around 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't have to clean it. So I listened to him and just decided to install it without much thought to cleaning the leftover thermal paste. Then once I came to the actual point of installing it, I applied the new thermal paste and then realized I had no idea how to get the heatsink on and must have taken the heatsink off the CPU like 5 times before I finally got it and put the screws in...well barely. After about an hour and a half of struggling with the screws I said screw it (no pun intended) and only screwed in 2 of the 4 screws. It seems fine and very stable anyway and the heat sink doesn't move around much at all so I think that's ok, but now I think my temps are too high.

According to Core Temp in starting up windows and getting to the thread creation page here my CPU # 0 temp jumped between 18 and 46 Celsius. Then I opened up around 15 or so tabs in Google Chrome with some search terms all at once to put the CPU under a bit of duress and got up to 67 Celsius. Currently in typing this I fluctuate between 18 and 30 Celsius. So anyway, exactly how much did I screw up and what can I do to remedy it? I'm going insane here.

EDIT: Those temps are all at stock clock.

dragonsamus

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Go get some rubbing alcohol and q tips. You need to clean off the old paste. For the Evo 212, I recommend putting the thermal paste on the two inner heat pipes 1/3 the length of the heat pipe. I did a quick search and the 6300 max temp is 62C.

And screw in all four screws.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

I'm going to pick up some
Isopropyl alcohol in a bit, but the main issue now I'd say is the 4 screws. It's nearly impossibly to screw them in. If I screw in one, even partially, I create too much torque and its opposing screw becomes impossible to screw in without bending the metal plates past their natural point of malleability.