power supply: enermax triathlor 385w or seasonic g-360w?

Flaz

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Hi, which one should I buy? g-360 has better efficiency (89% vs 85%) but it doesn't have OCP (over current protection) and OTP (over temperature protection).
Please help my choice and feel free to suggest me alternatives of high quality low wattage and quiet psu. Thanks!

Hi - both are solid OEM's of PSU's, but I would opt for the Seasonic unit, it has so
many top reviews I doubt that it really has an issue with OCP or OTP.

In fact I'm reading the Hardware Secrets review now & will link it for you below along
with johnnyguru's review as well:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-G-360-Power-Supply-Review/1634/4

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=313

The important thing is it's a really good unit with Japanese 105 degree C capacitors,
and the unit shut itself down if the test equipment tried to pull to much
power from the unit.

johnnyguru gives it a 9.5 out of 10 for performance, and 10 out of 10 in build quality,
with a 5yr warranty, I'd go witht he Seasonic.

Flaz

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
thanks for your reply. So I think that Seasonic has better quality components but the lack of two protections leaves me doubtful. I read that OCP is important to protect system components from too current but I don't really understand differences between OCP and UVP/OPP (over and under voltage protections). And also Over Temperature protection is important in the case where fan stops or if for some reason the internal temperature raise excessively.

Up to you, but I wouldn't be concerned if 7 PSU review sites gave
this PSU outstanding grades & none mentioned any problems that
you are concerned with.

Flaz

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
the reason enermax uses OCP is to due (most likely) with them placing a split on the 12v rail as compared to seasonic's single design.
thanks, so you think on single rail like g-360 OCP is not necessary? I don't know that.. Also if temperature raise starts fire/explode without OTP?! Years ago I bought Enermax noisetaker PSU had all protections but one day it done fantastic fireworks show... so I went to old corsair 400w and then vx450 for another pc, all made by seasonic. Now I'd like to buy always corsair but in the same range they use some chinese components and are made by channel well. So go on Enermax (thinking that after 10 years something changes ;-) ) or go with g-360? Best would be g-450 I think but it's tooo expensive. With g-360 only problem is lack of OTP and OCT.

Flaz

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
well.. others canditates were Corsair cx430m (modular in micro-atx seems good) and Be Quiet Pure power 7 300w. They are very cheap (also chinese compnents) but have all protections. So I could pay more for triathlor 385 or g-360 if they don't do fireworks explosion when I'm working.. Could a sinewave ups protect against current spike like OCP? So I could go with ups + g360... mmm, I don't think is the same :)

Flaz

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
mmm, Enermax has 85°C main capactor vs 105°C Seasonic and also has more ripple in tests, Seasonic g-360 has only OPP,OVP,UVP,SCP protections (Enermax Has also OCP,OTP,SIP) and is quite hotter running.. mmm a third way could be a solution... more suggestions/help? :-(

TRENDING THREADS