what kind of graphics card do i need 2560 x 1440 max guild wars2

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
was wondering gw2 is somewhat cpu bound but what kind of graphics card would i need to power a 2560x1440 monitor at 40fps on a core i7 920 OC@3.8ghz i get about 28-33fps on 1920x1080 resolution?

also what aboput battlefield 4 what kind of card for it too.

also any experience with either of these monitors? would spending the extra be much worth it for the asus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

or
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/auria-eq276w-review-ips,3465.html $399.00

sorry if my post seems confusing if you can summerizxe it that be great thanks

Solution
I have a: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB / i5 2500k oc'd to 4.4ghz

Playing gw2 right now and run everything in game at max on 2560x1440 and it runs at 60 fps in towns fullscreen or fullscreen window.

X79

Honorable
A GTX 760 would be sweet. It's cheap and you could SLI it.

The monitors are really nice. I believe ASUS has one of the best warranties out there,

so if there's anything at all wrong with the screen, they'll cover. I think the ASUS one may

have a lower response time; which is something you'd be interested in, if you're playing shooters.

Anything above 5ms isn't good by me and the non-ASUS one has a 6.5ms response time it looks like.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well the main thing is i dont wanna be diosappointed. i had but sent it back a second radeon 7850 in crossfirer and got like only a 12fps incrse with my i7 920 on guild wars 2. the game i think though is cpu bound and on higher resolution begs the question (a 780 is to expinsive for my budget) if i could skreatch by and use max settings and still get 40fps with a 760 on a QHD monitor?

also for gaming is there a big difference in color and detail a 1080p vs a 2560x1440 im assuming heck yes?

ShindoSensei

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I agree, 2GB is enough for that resolution, but it never hurts to have a little more VRAM to squeeze in all that stuff. ;)

G

Hello there, I play GW2 at 2560x1440 with a single GTX680 2 Gig reference card before. I just recently SLI'd it with another reference card. (EVGA).

I didn't notice any difference in performance. To this day still, the game is poorly optimized. Its heavily CPU bound or the bandwidth connection isn't enough for the amount of things going in the screens.

Dragon fights I drop to like 15-30 FPS (stutters) and makes it barely playable. my My VRAM has never been close and my GPU usage has never been over 80%. (I play with Adaptive VSYNC on in full windows mode).

I stopped playing for this reason. Normally its a consistent 60fps with about 50% GPU usage.

Settings I would recommend.
Ultra:
Change Shadows to medium
Change Relfections: Land and Sky only
People in town and WvWvW: Minimum or Medium
AA: On (makes a difference even at 2560x1440)

The shadows and reflections isn't worth the choppiness.

I'm pretty sure that no matter what GPU set-up, game is going to lag during WvWvW and dragon fights.

Side note: Played beta in FF14 reborn with single GTX680 at 2560x1440 -runs smooth as butter and way better game IMHO.

Hope this helps!

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009

damn son that's an epic post, kudos

G

Thanks Sancco, This forum has helped me plenty in the past few years and if i have any input I will try.

Hopefully my information is helpful to Winterloard

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well let me ask somthin else. with this it looks like it would run one card at pcie x16 and the other since itts 2.0 at x8 would this be decent for a crossfire setup? running like 2 7850's or 2 7970's all of this in time of course but would those pci busses bottleneck me with a i7 4770k and a cheap motherboard like this one
what kind of loss in crossfire would i see do you think? would this work?
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G41-PC-Mate.html#?div=Detail
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=614826

X79

Honorable
I think once you start going cheaper on essential parts due to an expensive monitor, it's

high time to consider a less expensive monitor instead, in favor of better parts. And you won't need

an i7 in your new build. i5.

G

I personally like the Asus as it supports SLI/Xfire. The MSI only states Xfire. Not a fanboy but at this moment of time and the last 1.5years. AMD is a loosing battle.

MSI has 4 3.0USB outputs as well so that's a bonus, but i don't like the limiting factor of the Xfire/SLi limitation.

You can't add a 7850 and a 7970. Its gotta be 7850x2 or 7970x2. Unless you are able to with AMD. I haven't used ATI/AMD boards for a while now. Maybe someone else can answer this for you.

I'm in the process of finding out how much hit it takes from x16 to x8. Heard its like a 5% drop. But again not sure =(

Whats the price point you looking at for your system?
Do you plan on playing at 1920x1080 or move up to 1440p gaming?

Side note: I OC'd my previous i7920 to 4.5ghz. Maybe go HIGHER!!!!!

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yea im set on a i7 4770k trying to go cheap on the motherboard foudn one with sli bout hundred bucks but now to my final question
i have a 2yr old PSU cooler master real power proffessional 650watt. i heard haswell needs certain power supplies. will my PSU work with this or cause damage to anything

X79

Honorable
Well don't be set on an i7 if this is for gaming. That's simply stupid; especially as it turns out you don't

have unlimited money. The i7 is nice, but you gain so little gaming wise, while it costs so much. Thus it's better

to get a good GPU and motherboard. Especially motherboard, as it will add longevity to your build.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well online games mmo's that are cpu intensive im thinking might benifit from hyperthreading idk, as far as the monitor goes i got a basic 1680x1050 i wont upgrade it will after the cpu gets an overhual but i gotta look at what i wanna power.

so now the big question is my psu probably dont support the new haswell states has anyone read that a not haswell certified psu can cause damage to chips or the chips just wont enter low poer states? any news

G

Not sure about that. Haven't read up on Haswell since I'm not going to go that route.

Always invest in a good powersupply. Thats one of the only things beside HDD that can be carried over to any new build.

I went all out and got a Corsiar AX1200i. Its over kill, but I won't need a powersupply for many many years.

if your going to OC your new CPU and SLI/Xfire and OC those as well. Your going to have to get a better PSU. You never want to hit close to the max of the power supply.

If your gaming at 1680x1050 I wouldnt upgrade much.

Plan to upgrade when you hit HD gaming and above.

Sidenote: I agree with X79. I had a i7920. pretty useless if its for gaming. Defintelty not worth the extra $ vs performance (if any).

I went from i7920 to i53570k and I couldn't be more happy. Save the $100 and put that towards anything else (SSD, GPU, PSU)

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well im thinken of future or near future and with the QHD monitors and 2yrs from now will be those 3100x2600 monitors wich i imagine require higher bandwidth, thus maybe needing hyperthreading and 4virtual cores in say 2-3yrs

G

By then to run those resoultions, video cards and etc will have to be updated if you wanna play at ultra settings. You can never keep up.

Sometimes I think its just bad coding in games that make us want to upgrade *cough cough* GW2.

But serious. If i was in your shoes, I would buy whats needed now at best price vs performance.

Like I said. Even with Quad SLI GW2 will still prollly run like garbage under dragon fights and WvWvW.

A 7850 2Gb at your resolution will blow that game away. It wont be the GPU issue its more of a game issue.

If I was to build a system today. I would build it around a 2560x1440 build at ultra settings.

talkischeapc9

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I have a: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB / i5 2500k oc'd to 4.4ghz

Playing gw2 right now and run everything in game at max on 2560x1440 and it runs at 60 fps in towns fullscreen or fullscreen window.

Solution