AMD is "Transforming", Says CEO Rory Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

madogre

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
I just don't see AMD being competitive ever again in the high end CPU or GPU market. They should just stick to what works the lower end to middle class CPU/PPU and lower to mid level GPUs where they can hang with Intel and Nvidia and most times give better value with close performance.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Outside the Titan and Titan LE (780), how AMD can't compete in the high end GPU market? I'm sure the 7970 GE is very competitive against any Nvidia GPU outside of those two.

halcyon

Splendid
AMD offers a good budget-oriented product. While their CPUs can't compete with Intel on the performance side they're more than fast enough for most home users (me included). I keep saying I'm gonna upgrade my ancient 965BE...but it keeps being fast enough. Durn it.

kirilmatt

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I can certainly believe profitability for Q3. It seems like AMD's future is very bright. Hopefully kaveri delivers and so does steamroller. aMD's execution has been quite strong recently. I'm also anticipating volcanic islands GPUs.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
In chip manufacture, where ideas shine brighter than sheer large scale funding, AMD could rebound. The future seems bright. (This coming from a Intel/Nvidia fan.)

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

The high-end market is a fraction of a fraction of a percent of AMD's (or Intel's, for that matter) market and revenue. General users now mainly suffer on a performance end from the software being used, rather than what the hardware is capable of; most CPU's, high-end or otherwise, are so much more powerful than needed, so there isn't much of a push to make the best and fastest thing anymore, especially if it takes a lot of internal R&D to generate products that most people really can't use to any noticeable improvement over previous or alternative hardware in the mainstream.

This coupled with AMD's shift to server-end markets (with the acquisition of SeaMicro) indicates their mentioned company restructuring. What I am curious about is how (or if) they plan to address the small device mobile industry, where Nvidia and Qualcomm seem to have giant's shares of the market, and is a booming market at the moment.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
If Steamroller can continue the +15% improvement, then the competition will really tighten seing how Haswell is barely 5% faster than 2 generations old Sandy Bridge.

New APUs will rule the world, if the same 15% applies there (hopefully with new GPUs)

In the fall the money will start flowing with the sell of the next-gen consoles.

Once HD9000 launches, expect AMD to rule over Nvidia easily.

As far as I'm concerned, AMD is pretty much set.

9a3iqa

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

They could definitely catch up on the CPU since Intel is progressing very slowly on that side (Ivybridge to Haswell was a minor improvement and it was supposed to be a "tock"), especially since Steamroller looks very promising.

On the GPU side they are already competitive, comparing the 7970 and the GTX 680 (both from the same generation) the 7970 is the faster (slightly) GPU. It's not fair to compare it to the 780 because that is Nvidia's new generation. Let's wait for the 9970 (next AMD flagship) before we jump to conclusions.

Thanatos Telos

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

People said the same thing about Intel before the Core 2 series was released.

how can they still be in business losing that much money? they really need the sales of their products in the ps4 and xbox to make a decent profit. I know for a fact they aren't making minimal profit, if any, on their desktop cpu's to keep their prices competitive.

For the many not-so-smart here.....THE CPU MARKET WILL NOT BE GETTING MUCH BETTER AMD CPUS...SURPRISE!!!! Amd already admitted YEARS ago they will not compete against intel (that means not try).
Instead amd will focus on tablets, notebooks, consoles, phones, etc. PCS are on the bottem of the list. I don't blame them really. They can't even beat the Intel i3 cpus much less i5 and i7. I wish they would, but amd has made other plans.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Clearly you've never taken economics

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Why would anyone expend their resources to compete in a market that has been diminishing over the last decade? From a business perspective it makes more sense to focus on the emerging and expanding markets.

your right, no i haven't. Clearly you are under the impression that every human being should take economics..............
What i do understand, is when you continue to lose money, eventually you become bankrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.