Last response: in News comments
July 20, 2013 12:04:59 PM

Lets see if Steamroller can deliver!
July 20, 2013 12:05:33 PM

it's 2103 already?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 20, 2013 12:32:18 PM

I just don't see AMD being competitive ever again in the high end CPU or GPU market. They should just stick to what works the lower end to middle class CPU/PPU and lower to mid level GPUs where they can hang with Intel and Nvidia and most times give better value with close performance.
a c 131 À AMD
July 20, 2013 12:43:42 PM

Well that ought to make the investors feel better about losing their money.
July 20, 2013 1:12:10 PM

madogre said:
I just don't see AMD being competitive ever again in the high end CPU or GPU market. They should just stick to what works the lower end to middle class CPU/PPU and lower to mid level GPUs where they can hang with Intel and Nvidia and most times give better value with close performance.

Outside the Titan and Titan LE (780), how AMD can't compete in the high end GPU market? I'm sure the 7970 GE is very competitive against any Nvidia GPU outside of those two.

July 20, 2013 1:15:15 PM

Im glad AMD can plan well ahead into the future ;D
July 20, 2013 1:17:51 PM

About time. I'm strictly an Intel builder, but the day AMD doesn't offer strong competition is the day we all lose. Good luck AMD...motivate me to switch to your side.
July 20, 2013 1:22:37 PM

AMD offers a good budget-oriented product. While their CPUs can't compete with Intel on the performance side they're more than fast enough for most home users (me included). I keep saying I'm gonna upgrade my ancient 965BE...but it keeps being fast enough. Durn it.
July 20, 2013 1:56:19 PM

Now they just have to roll out some products...

Heh...

Cheers! :p 
July 20, 2013 2:01:12 PM

I hope VI will deliver.
July 20, 2013 2:10:34 PM

I can certainly believe profitability for Q3. It seems like AMD's future is very bright. Hopefully kaveri delivers and so does steamroller. aMD's execution has been quite strong recently. I'm also anticipating volcanic islands GPUs.
July 20, 2013 2:20:08 PM

AMD evolves...
AMD uses steamroller and VI
Its super-effective :-)
gaming evolved
July 20, 2013 3:07:11 PM

In chip manufacture, where ideas shine brighter than sheer large scale funding, AMD could rebound. The future seems bright. (This coming from a Intel/Nvidia fan.)
July 20, 2013 3:08:44 PM

madogre said:

The high-end market is a fraction of a fraction of a percent of AMD's (or Intel's, for that matter) market and revenue. General users now mainly suffer on a performance end from the software being used, rather than what the hardware is capable of; most CPU's, high-end or otherwise, are so much more powerful than needed, so there isn't much of a push to make the best and fastest thing anymore, especially if it takes a lot of internal R&D to generate products that most people really can't use to any noticeable improvement over previous or alternative hardware in the mainstream.

This coupled with AMD's shift to server-end markets (with the acquisition of SeaMicro) indicates their mentioned company restructuring. What I am curious about is how (or if) they plan to address the small device mobile industry, where Nvidia and Qualcomm seem to have giant's shares of the market, and is a booming market at the moment.
July 20, 2013 3:32:43 PM

If Steamroller can continue the +15% improvement, then the competition will really tighten seing how Haswell is barely 5% faster than 2 generations old Sandy Bridge.

New APUs will rule the world, if the same 15% applies there (hopefully with new GPUs)

In the fall the money will start flowing with the sell of the next-gen consoles.

Once HD9000 launches, expect AMD to rule over Nvidia easily.

As far as I'm concerned, AMD is pretty much set.
July 20, 2013 3:37:31 PM

AMD-bots! Transform!
July 20, 2013 3:38:46 PM

AMD has been transforming into a lot of Constructicons lately. Steamroller is another piece to make 1 complete Devastator!
July 20, 2013 3:38:48 PM

madogre said:

They could definitely catch up on the CPU since Intel is progressing very slowly on that side (Ivybridge to Haswell was a minor improvement and it was supposed to be a "tock"), especially since Steamroller looks very promising.

On the GPU side they are already competitive, comparing the 7970 and the GTX 680 (both from the same generation) the 7970 is the faster (slightly) GPU. It's not fair to compare it to the 780 because that is Nvidia's new generation. Let's wait for the 9970 (next AMD flagship) before we jump to conclusions.
July 20, 2013 3:44:34 PM

madogre said:

People said the same thing about Intel before the Core 2 series was released.
a b À AMD
July 20, 2013 3:54:52 PM

how can they still be in business losing that much money? they really need the sales of their products in the ps4 and xbox to make a decent profit. I know for a fact they aren't making minimal profit, if any, on their desktop cpu's to keep their prices competitive.
July 20, 2013 4:25:28 PM

For the many not-so-smart here.....THE CPU MARKET WILL NOT BE GETTING MUCH BETTER AMD CPUS...SURPRISE!!!! Amd already admitted YEARS ago they will not compete against intel (that means not try).
Instead amd will focus on tablets, notebooks, consoles, phones, etc. PCS are on the bottem of the list. I don't blame them really. They can't even beat the Intel i3 cpus much less i5 and i7. I wish they would, but amd has made other plans.
July 20, 2013 4:28:43 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
how can they still be in business losing that much money? they really need the sales of their products in the ps4 and xbox to make a decent profit. I know for a fact they aren't making minimal profit, if any, on their desktop cpu's to keep their prices competitive.

Clearly you've never taken economics
July 20, 2013 4:53:07 PM

computertech82 said:

Instead amd will focus on tablets, notebooks, consoles, phones, etc. PCS are on the bottem of the list. I don't blame them really. They can't even beat the Intel i3 cpus much less i5 and i7. I wish they would, but amd has made other plans.

Why would anyone expend their resources to compete in a market that has been diminishing over the last decade? From a business perspective it makes more sense to focus on the emerging and expanding markets.
a b À AMD
July 20, 2013 6:39:48 PM

JPNpower said:
iam2thecrowe said:

your right, no i haven't. Clearly you are under the impression that every human being should take economics..............
What i do understand, is when you continue to lose money, eventually you become bankrupt.
July 20, 2013 6:52:35 PM

AMD and Nvidia are very evenly competitive in hardware overall. Neither one has bee well ahead of the other since AMD's HD3000 and the 4000 was a little bit slower but was catching up. Intel vs AMD is another story all together.
July 20, 2013 7:12:58 PM

I don't understand people who are not seeing what's obviously coming. Every single console will be a x86 architecture and the games released for them will have to be built for 8 cores which is AMD territory. Plus the graphics will probably be well optimized for AMD cards.

A good example of this is FF14. It's made for both PC and PS4 thus the game already supports multithreading very well plus it's really well optimized for my AMD GPU.
July 20, 2013 7:33:45 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
JPNpower said:
iam2thecrowe said:

your right, no i haven't. Clearly you are under the impression that every human being should take economics..............
What i do understand, is when you continue to lose money, eventually you become bankrupt.

And the US has a forecast -901 billion this 2013 year on top of the 12 trillion public debt. They're still in business. Ok, bad example yes. They -should- go bankrupt, but such is economics.
July 20, 2013 8:18:11 PM

AMD did a nice move getting the contract of powering next gen consoles, doesnt matter which one will sell more, both are a very necessary income for AMD, all that lost will surely become in profits by the end of this year. It doesnt matter really how well next gen CPUs or GPUs will be, that is an small chunk of the market, what really makes money are OEMs (silly advertising as "only" " 8" core processor of the market" or "GPUs with more GB of vram" help to sell well) and now those contract with microsoft and sony. Thats how money is done! I'm glad that AMD will be again a solid company and may have enough money to invest in technology with better performance, higher eficiency and lower costs!
July 21, 2013 2:35:00 AM

Different products for different markets, AMD kills everyone for HTPC where all it has to do is drive a TV, not some crazy number crunching PC desktop, they should push those more in marketing
July 21, 2013 2:47:07 AM

I think we can help or not help Amd to be really great. I'll help
July 21, 2013 4:06:40 AM

otacon72 said:
"Play a game against intel"? They were doing pretty good until Core 2 blew AMD out of the water and they've never recovered. The entire CPU R&D department should've been shit canned. "APUs will rule the world"?...what world? The APU is a made up category by AMD because they lost to intel. APUs are garbage. AMD can't even compete in the mid range market with their CPUs let alone the high end.

Sigh. Intel were the first to actually offer an iGPU on the same package as the CPU. Regardless, this close integration between integer processing cores and fast floating point number crunchers should theoretically outperform any traditional CPU FPU setup either company decides to implement. If the code was written to offload such processing to a discrete GPU, we wouldn't be complaining about the apparently weak FP capabilities of any FX CPU as it'd be relatively hidden. AMD still doesn't see a point in dumping its FlexFPU nor any other part of its big core architecture because, to them, they can see a point where everything they've worked towards will become the norm. Whether that ends up being the case or not isn't known. What is expected is that more developers will be coding for more cores now that the PS4 and XBox One offer eight of them, and with AMD GPUs in all three consoles PLUS the HSA initiative making for easier coding plus quicker porting from PC to XBox One/PS4 and vice versa, AMD might actually get reasonable success. Might.

AMD's mid-range GPUs are doing fine, they're just a little overdue a refresh. To some people, the value of the game bundles more than offsets any additional cost they may have to fork out for.

back_by_demand said:
Different products for different markets, AMD kills everyone for HTPC where all it has to do is drive a TV, not some crazy number crunching PC desktop, they should push those more in marketing

They don't. You could just as well buy a cheap i3 or Pentium and a cheap low-profile graphics card for about the same price and use the same or less power. Heat should be less of a concern with an APU.

Cryio said:
If Steamroller can continue the +15% improvement, then the competition will really tighten seing how Haswell is barely 5% faster than 2 generations old Sandy Bridge.
New APUs will rule the world, if the same 15% applies there (hopefully with new GPUs)

In the fall the money will start flowing with the sell of the next-gen consoles.

Once HD9000 launches, expect AMD to rule over Nvidia easily.

As far as I'm concerned, AMD is pretty much set.

The roadmap suggests that the biggest gain for Steamroller will be for its clustered multithreading. In other words, there shouldn't be any worries about scheduling multiple threads on the same module anymore. I think what estimates we've been seeing are chip-wide, meaning the same sort of increase no matter which FX you use. There's no word on actual single thread improvements, however with improved caches and predictors along with a microops queuing system, I'd imagine there would be a boost there too. Excavator is rumoured to bring large IPC gains.

HD9000 HAS to launch first before we can judge where AMD competes with NVIDIA. AMD doesn't compete with Titan simply because they don't feel a need to do so.
July 21, 2013 5:42:57 AM

2103? The articles on this website are going downhill fast along with how well this site works, double posts anyone?

This surprises me really, they are more than capable of fighting it out and making profit in the GPU department, and in the low end of the CPU market, along with the new consoles they should be raking it in by now.
July 21, 2013 5:44:05 AM

2103? The articles on this website are going downhill fast along with how well this site works, double posts anyone?

This surprises me really, they are more than capable of fighting it out and making profit in the GPU department, and in the low end of the CPU market, along with the new consoles they should be raking it in by now.
a b À AMD
July 21, 2013 6:07:11 AM

I wish RR would 'transform' a few OEMs into releasing some FM2+ mITX motherboards

:D 

Otherwise, AMD is doing fine. Bring on Kaveri and Steamroller AM3+ !!

July 21, 2013 6:45:30 AM

Silverblue, right there, "a low profile graphics card", you don't need to add the gfx card fir an AMD HTPC, their solution is better and cheaper.
July 21, 2013 8:43:19 AM

hakkafusion said:
iam2thecrowe said:
JPNpower said:
iam2thecrowe said:

And the US has a forecast -901 billion this 2013 year on top of the 12 trillion public debt. They're still in business. Ok, bad example yes. They -should- go bankrupt, but such is economics.

First of all this is a matter of finance. An organization can continue to lose money until all of their capital is run dry and they have no options for debt instruments left to generate cash. Secondly, your attempt to take a shot at the US government has been done 5,000,000,000,000 times now and is no longer funny or at all valid to this conversation.
July 21, 2013 9:15:38 AM

AMD should have never purchased ATI. worst decision ever
July 21, 2013 7:34:51 PM

Hopefully AMD can put power efficiency on the forefront of their efforts. The Radeon 7000 series and FX processors are competitive at their price points, but their high power use diminishes the appeal for many people whom must pay a lot more than North Americans for electricity.
July 21, 2013 10:41:24 PM

AMD Processors work Great in today's Gaming environments. I have all the faith in the world in them, they know CPU's as good as anyone.
July 22, 2013 1:55:16 AM

eddieroolz said:
Hopefully AMD can put power efficiency on the forefront of their efforts. The Radeon 7000 series and FX processors are competitive at their price points, but their high power use diminishes the appeal for many people whom must pay a lot more than North Americans for electricity.

Uh, oh, high power consumption of Radeon 7000 series, are you serious?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

And mentioning that when we just had Fermi epic.fail(tm) when it was slower, more power hungry and more expensive, yet nVidia kept 60%+ of the market share.

PS
And as far as Intel CPUs go, I see lots of gamers investing into Intel's latest mobo + i7 then saving on GPU. Simply sad...
July 22, 2013 3:31:59 AM

otacon72 said:
"Play a game against intel"? They were doing pretty good until Core 2 blew AMD out of the water and they've never recovered. The entire CPU R&D department should've been shit canned. "APUs will rule the world"?...what world? The APU is a made up category by AMD because they lost to intel. APUs are garbage. AMD can't even compete in the mid range market with their CPUs let alone the high end.

My irrelevent Meme trumps your irrelevent opinion.

July 22, 2013 7:00:28 AM

@halcyon

yeah, i'm currently running the following config: Amd Phenom II x4 955 @3.6, 8gig of ram DDR3 @ 1600, Nvidia GTX570 1.25gb 320bit, Seventeam 850W, AsRock M3A785GXH/128M.

I don't feel i gain anything by going higher than 1600x900, and on that resolution, i play absolutely everything on maximum settings. Metro Last Light, Crysis 3... It does it all. I'm not upgrading before middle next year, and my current rig is almost 4 years old (except for the GPU, which i'm not upgrading next time).

AMD, i wish you a long and prosper business life. You guys have been my faithful companions since the good old Sempron single core 1.8 for 462 paired with a FX5500...
July 22, 2013 7:43:16 AM

nVidia already owns the tablet and smartphone. AMD is too late for that.
July 22, 2013 7:45:34 AM

PS both my FX 8150 and FX 8350 on linux servers CRUSH anything intel has to offer remotely in that price range. But then again, it's also linux, which is actually great at thread processing as compared to any Windows kernel. Not playing fanboy just stating the truth
July 22, 2013 8:36:45 AM

I would love to see amd get fabs and return to glory; i just dont see it happening by q3.
July 22, 2013 9:35:39 AM

It's interesting that people who keeps saying 680 is on par with 7970 ignore the fact that 7970 is a decathlete and 680 is a sprinter. Yet 7970 runs equaly or faster than competition in 100 meter discipline while 680 doesn't do even near as good as red competitor in the remaining nine disciplines. Pretty much similar comparison could be done between 7970 and 7xx series. Nvidia brought up same sprinter refreshed, refreshed, rejuvenated and packed up with newest dopings. If we ignore the facts mentioned in sentence before, which is very hard if you are not extremely green fanboy, possibility that old geezer 7970 still could be compared to newest Nvidia's series doesn't look good for the Nvidia itself. Instead of eating 7970 alive for breakfeast they even have a good run for the money.
a b À AMD
July 22, 2013 11:32:13 AM

antilycus said:
nVidia already owns the tablet and smartphone. AMD is too late for that.

I LOL'ed

July 22, 2013 11:49:07 AM

Bla , bla, bla, perdidas perdidas, todas las grandes empresas tienen perdidas y sus correspondientes beneficios fiscales, y pagos para el pago de impuestos¿no se lo cree nadie!!!!!
July 22, 2013 1:04:28 PM

softplacetoland said:
It's interesting that people who keeps saying 680 is on par with 7970 ignore the fact that 7970 is a decathlete and 680 is a sprinter. Yet 7970 runs equaly or faster than competition in 100 meter discipline while 680 doesn't do even near as good as red competitor in the remaining nine disciplines. Pretty much similar comparison could be done between 7970 and 7xx series. Nvidia brought up same sprinter refreshed, refreshed, rejuvenated and packed up with newest dopings. If we ignore the facts mentioned in sentence before, which is very hard if you are not extremely green fanboy, possibility that old geezer 7970 still could be compared to newest Nvidia's series doesn't look good for the Nvidia itself. Instead of eating 7970 alive for breakfeast they even have a good run for the money.

You forget how MOST people need GPUs for only about two things. Gaming, and professional graphics work. The professional graphics market is dominated by NVidia due to CUDA optimized programs. Gaming is where the GTX competes with AMD. If all you need is these, NVidia has the bases covered. If you need a sprinter, you will get a sprinter. Not a decathlete.
!