Laptop Help Please...

stano5

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Hi everyone, I have a HP Probook 4510s that I'm trying to repair. I fitted a new motherboard and screen. The trouble is that when I have it stripped right down and plug it in, the CPU fan spins and the lights come on. Unfortunately when I plug the screen cable into the motherboard there is absolutely no response except a pulsing sound from the power brick. Now I'm not sure but I think that means that there is a short somewhere. Any help or advice would be great.
Thank you.

Solution

I've worked on computers for 20+ years and never yet successfully restored a laptop with serious hardware issues like you're describing. It's beyond my skill set. Sorry i can't be more help. someone else here might be able to walk you through it.

dead power brick

stano5

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Hi ingtar33,

Thank you for the swift reply. I checked the power supply on my girlfriends laptop and it works fine. The motherboard fans and lights worked when I had nothing else plugged into it but when I plugged in the screen there was nothing and it seems to have fried the dc socket. Would I have to replace the screen cables or is there another way to locate the short?

Cheers.

I've worked on computers for 20+ years and never yet successfully restored a laptop with serious hardware issues like you're describing. It's beyond my skill set. Sorry i can't be more help. someone else here might be able to walk you through it.

Solution

stano5

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Thank you for the reply anyway sir. It's almost boiled down to a personal vendetta between me and the laptop at this stage, ha ha.. It's my brothers laptop and I'd hate to have to tell him he's wasted all that cash for nothing but if that's what it comes down to then so be it. I appreciate your help.