Sign in with
Your question

Is my GPU running too hot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2013 4:47:01 PM

I have just upgraded to a GTX 770 Jetstream and it is actually making the side of my case hot - like radiator hot. Is this normal?

I have 2 fans on the CPU, another large fan on the rear of the case extracting heat and then the 3 fans on the GPU itself.

I don't think I remember my old GPU doing this, but then it was a GTX 285 and never under much stress.

With the new card, I'd been playing Crysis 3 on highest settings for about 10-15 minutes when I noticed this, so I downloaded a GPU temperature monitor and it says it's running at 40 degrees C idle and 80 degrees when gaming (after 10-15 minutes), but I don't know how reliable this is.

Should I be worried?

More about : gpu running hot

July 20, 2013 5:09:54 PM

wildmorgan said:
I have just upgraded to a GTX 770 Jetstream and it is actually making the side of my case hot - like radiator hot. Is this normal?

I have 2 fans on the CPU, another large fan on the rear of the case extracting heat and then the 3 fans on the GPU itself.

I don't think I remember my old GPU doing this, but then it was a GTX 285 and never under much stress.

With the new card, I'd been playing Crysis 3 on highest settings for about 10-15 minutes when I noticed this, so I downloaded a GPU temperature monitor and it says it's running at 40 degrees C idle and 80 degrees when gaming (after 10-15 minutes), but I don't know how reliable this is.

Should I be worried?

No, it should not be a problem and is normal for GTX 770 temperatures. They can withstand over 100 degrees C.
August 6, 2013 7:59:53 AM

Not at all, that is the average for a graphics card. If you are worried then increase your airflow buy buying more fans.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 6, 2013 8:05:11 AM

It's within the cards safe operating range, but on the high side.
Some extra ventilation will help but which case is the system installed in?
August 6, 2013 8:24:09 AM

coozie7 said:
It's within the cards safe operating range, but on the high side.
Some extra ventilation will help but which case is the system installed in?

What case do you have?
August 6, 2013 8:26:41 AM

Not hot at all, my 780 ran that hot too, but with my custom fan profile it dosent go above 75c.

i suggest you create one too, but it dosent matter much.
!