Why so many Tracking Companies?

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I went on the homepage of Tom's Hardware today using Firefox 21 today to read an article. I looked in the corner of my screen to the "do not track me" plug-in I have and it said there were 18 tracking companies!

I was surprised that we would have so many on this website, especially when we do discuss network security.

Would anyone care to explain all the tracking companies?

Solution
Different companies provide different analytics insights. Larger websites like this can't rely solely on Google Analytics if they want to get a rich understanding of what content visitors are interested in.

Some are probably just cookies from the ads as well.

randomizer

Champion
Different companies provide different analytics insights. Larger websites like this can't rely solely on Google Analytics if they want to get a rich understanding of what content visitors are interested in.

Some are probably just cookies from the ads as well.

Solution

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Just saying 18 is way more than most websites, even in the same field.

When I said care to explain I probably said that the wrong way, I understood why there would be some.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Randomizer is right - a lot of those are metrics to help us better understand our audience. It helps us determine whether or not you are reading the cloud computing stuff as opposed to the motherboard benchmarks, and assists in guiding our content production schedules.